DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing my best to research this stuff for a while now - I try not to be that annoying guy that shows up and just asks for everyone else to do the work for him, but car audio is so complex that I'm getting a little overwhelmed Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - sorry if this is a bit long, haha.

My budget is around $1000-$2000, depending on whether or not I go with a new head unit.

I'm installing this into a new 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T with the completely base audio system - it has two tweeters (3.5") on the dash, two 6x9s in the doors, and two 6x9s in the rears.

One of my big debates is the head unit - should I remove the stock double din and replace it with a full DVD/nav screen, or just keep it and go with a sound processor? If I go the processor route, should I be looking at a JBL, the Fosgate 3sixty, or is it worth it to go big on the MS-8? A screen would be nice, and if a good screen can be had for a price that is similar to a sound processor while also providing that high sound quality, I feel like it would make more sense to just do that?

Discussing this with some of my audio buddies, they believe just disconnecting the rears and going with the doors and tweeters would be best. In this case, I was looking at some Focal comps for the doors, but since my doors are 6x9, would 6.5" speakers still fit, or am I forced into buying 6x9s? I was debating the Focal vs Hybrid Audio Unity vs maybe something from Image Dynamics, hard for me to say which I'd prefer there.

I think I'd like to go with one quality 12" sub that can hit hard while also providing nice sound quality - I know the box and install are the big things here, so I would also like advice on that? Get a local installer to build one, or find someone on this forum to design/build it?

Where I'm really lost is when it comes to the amplifiers, impedance ratings/crossovers/passive vs active, etc. I really haven't been able to make any progress on figuring out/deciding what amplifiers I would need for powering a good 12" sub and all of those speakers, this is one of the areas I'd really like the assistance in.

And if anyone is in the San Diego area (or socal in general) and is good at installing this stuff or knows a good shop I can go to for installation, I'd be much appreciative! And if you know your stuff I'd love to pay for a good install since I know a shop is looking to rip me off. The shops I went into for this were recommending a whole range of expensive low-range speakers and subs and are just a pain to deal with.

Also, my battery is located in my trunk if that matters or maybe makes anything easier for me.

I created a thread in the general forum on accident, created one here in the proper forum now. Woops.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
-Rears are 6.5, not 6x9.
-Another member on here spent a lot of money on good equipment and didn't like the sound. He added a DSP and was very happy. So either get a DSP or an aftermarket headunit.
-Having the battery in the trunk makes things easier and cheaper. Less power wire to buy and less distance you have to run it :)
-We recently did 2 challengers. 1 with a single 13" W7 and the other with 2 12" W6. I really liked the single W7 setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was the single W7 placed in the trunk along the side? I'm not great at explaining this, but I think I've seen that before and that's what I'd like so most of my trunk is still usable. I guess it's called corner facing?

Also, any general idea on how complex/time consuming an install in the Challenger was so I have some idea of what to expect when I get mine done?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I found the box I was looking for, a stealthbox by JL. Unfortunately I still can't link to anything

The stealthbox places the sub in a perfect spot for me - convenience wise - and I was wondering if anyone knows if that sort of setup will actually also provide a quality listening experience, both in SQ and SPL?

If so I'm sure I'd try to build one or find someone to because I'm not paying 650 dollars for that with a 12w3..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been doing my best to research this stuff for a while now - I try not to be that annoying guy that shows up and just asks for everyone else to do the work for him, but car audio is so complex that I'm getting a little overwhelmed Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - sorry if this is a bit long, haha.

My budget is around $1000-$2000, depending on whether or not I go with a new head unit.

I'm installing this into a new 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T with the completely base audio system - it has two tweeters (3.5") on the dash, two 6x9s in the doors, and two 6x9s in the rears.

One of my big debates is the head unit - should I remove the stock double din and replace it with a full DVD/nav screen, or just keep it and go with a sound processor? If I go the processor route, should I be looking at a JBL, the Fosgate 3sixty, or is it worth it to go big on the MS-8? A screen would be nice, and if a good screen can be had for a price that is similar to a sound processor while also providing that high sound quality, I feel like it would make more sense to just do that?

Discussing this with some of my audio buddies, they believe just disconnecting the rears and going with the doors and tweeters would be best. In this case, I was looking at some Focal comps for the doors, but since my doors are 6x9, would 6.5" speakers still fit, or am I forced into buying 6x9s? I was debating the Focal vs Hybrid Audio Unity vs maybe something from Image Dynamics, hard for me to say which I'd prefer there.

I think I'd like to go with one quality 12" sub that can hit hard while also providing nice sound quality - I know the box and install are the big things here, so I would also like advice on that? Get a local installer to build one, or find someone on this forum to design/build it?

Where I'm really lost is when it comes to the amplifiers, impedance ratings/crossovers/passive vs active, etc. I really haven't been able to make any progress on figuring out/deciding what amplifiers I would need for powering a good 12" sub and all of those speakers, this is one of the areas I'd really like the assistance in.

And if anyone is in the San Diego area (or socal in general) and is good at installing this stuff or knows a good shop I can go to for installation, I'd be much appreciative! And if you know your stuff I'd love to pay for a good install since I know a shop is looking to rip me off. The shops I went into for this were recommending a whole range of expensive low-range speakers and subs and are just a pain to deal with.

Also, my battery is located in my trunk if that matters or maybe makes anything easier for me.

I created a thread in the general forum on accident, created one here in the proper forum now. Woops.
I just did 1 a few days ago.. You can save yourself a ton of money if you keep the stock HU & do it yourself.. It's really simple since everything is in the rear.. You're need the sub, amp, wiring (rca, power, ground & speaker) & a hi~lo converter..

Look into Alpine Type R 10" or 12" & a 500.1 amp. A 4 gauge wiring kit will take care of the wiring issue & leave u plenty to spare.. Then you just need a hi to lo converter & crimps/crimping equipment..

As for as time, depends on what you want installed & if u're keeping your factory HU & the ability of the shop.. If you have questions, just ask becuase there's alot of knowledge in this forum..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So currently I'm looking at something like this - let me know if any of these components don't work together / don't make sense / aren't as good as they should be for the price being paid, or just in general if anyone believes something else would be a better idea. Any advice is great.

DSP - JL Cleansweep CL441DSP (is a 3sixty better here?)
Amps - Precision Power P900.4 and P600.2
Speakers - HAT Unity 6.5" - would this involve putting the 6.5" woofer into my doors and the tweeters up in the dash? Or would both be mounted into the door somehow? Or should I look into going with a 6x9 instead, like the HAT Imagine 6x9s?
Sub - This is one of the things I'm not sure on, would a dual 4 ohm make the most sense? ID IDQ12 D4? MTX T812-44? JL W3, RE Audio SEX12D4, or an Alpine SWR? Would the above P600.2 amp be able to power any of these well enough, or do I need to go bigger on the amp?

Then on knukonceptz they have a complete 4 gauge amp installation kit, figured I'd grab that also - what else am I missing then besides the box being built for the sub? If I ordered everything here, would I be well on me way to getting something pretty decent set up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking I may go for a Pioneer P4300DVD head unit instead of a sound processor - does anyone know what I'll need to actually install this? Do I need some adapters to connect it? It is selling for around 350 on ebay but Crutchfield has it for 500 and says it comes with all this stuff I supposedly need to install it but I'm not completely sure what that is or if it makes more sense to just buy it from them

and again this is for a 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I have purchased the following items:

HU- Pioneer 4300DVD
Speakers - HAT Imagine 6x9
Amps: MB Quart 1500D, JL 450/4
Sub- IDQ12D2

What else should I grab if I want to install this myself? I know I need to find a harness or something for the HU I think, but what about cabling and everything? Is 4 gauge good enough?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
-Power wire
-Ground wire
-RCA's
-Speaker wire (16 awg and 12 awg)
-Distribution block
-Dash kit
-Wire harness
-Sound deadening
-Kinetik battery (2000 is perfect)
-Steering control module (PAC)
-Subwoofer box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks much, I found the harness I need, got some RAAmat, a dash kit, wire, RCAs... just need that power/ground/distri block and a battery I guess

1 - 10 of 10 Posts