DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing my best to research this stuff for a while now - I try not to be that annoying guy that shows up and just asks for everyone else to do the work for him, but car audio is so complex that I'm getting a little overwhelmed Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - sorry if this is a bit long, haha.

My budget is around $1000-$2000, depending on whether or not I go with a new head unit.

I'm installing this into a new 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T with the completely base audio system - it has two tweeters (3.5") on the dash, two 6x9s in the doors, and two 6x9s in the rears.

One of my big debates is the head unit - should I remove the stock double din and replace it with a full DVD/nav screen, or just keep it and go with a sound processor? If I go the processor route, should I be looking at a JBL, the Fosgate 3sixty, or is it worth it to go big on the MS-8? A screen would be nice, and if a good screen can be had for a price that is similar to a sound processor while also providing that high sound quality, I feel like it would make more sense to just do that?

Discussing this with some of my audio buddies, they believe just disconnecting the rears and going with the doors and tweeters would be best. In this case, I was looking at some Focal comps for the doors, but since my doors are 6x9, would 6.5" speakers still fit, or am I forced into buying 6x9s? I was debating the Focal vs Hybrid Audio Unity vs maybe something from Image Dynamics, hard for me to say which I'd prefer there.

I think I'd like to go with one quality 12" sub that can hit hard while also providing nice sound quality - I know the box and install are the big things here, so I would also like advice on that? Get a local installer to build one, or find someone on this forum to design/build it?

Where I'm really lost is when it comes to the amplifiers, impedance ratings/crossovers/passive vs active, etc. I really haven't been able to make any progress on figuring out/deciding what amplifiers I would need for powering a good 12" sub and all of those speakers, this is one of the areas I'd really like the assistance in.

And if anyone is in the San Diego area (or socal in general) and is good at installing this stuff or knows a good shop I can go to for installation, I'd be much appreciative! And if you know your stuff I'd love to pay for a good install since I know a shop is looking to rip me off. The shops I went into for this were recommending a whole range of expensive low-range speakers and subs and are just a pain to deal with.

Also, my battery is located in my trunk if that matters or maybe makes anything easier for me

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Not a professional, but i'll point ya out to what I have read here on the board.

As far as the head unit, you'll be fine with one of the processors that you listed above, but keep in mind that an aftermarket deck can give you features that you may like such as Flip out screen (DVD), Ipod and blue tooth capabilaties and other features that will take care of sound processing; which will probably be fine depending on how much you want out of your setup. Mid's/high's, It would be best in my opinion to worry about the front stage before you start worrying about the rear speakers; either way you're the one sitting in the front enjoying your investment and the people in the rear can live with the rear speakers :p , though I usually fade the speakers to the front a bit since i don't like to hear sound coming from the rear. 6.5"s will fit where your 6x9's are located. Your best bet is to make some baffles out of MDf, birch, HDPE etc. to be able to fit them in and depending on the driers you go with you may need a bit extra space for the mid driver you choose can fit (depth wise) As far as passive/Active Really depends on what you are after, a decent head unit can take care of the processing needed for a active setup, but the MS-8 (processor) can take it to another level, but it may be hard on you if you don't like tuning. As far as your subwoofer, it all depends on what you are looking for aswell. There are different woofers that work better for a sealed or ported enclosure and some woofers like alot of space, so it's always best to measure how much you have to work with and then work with a subwoofer that will fit using those measurments then you can narrow them down.

Here's some link's that i'd recommend you to check out:
Active vs. Passive: An attempt by me to explain
The Big 3 Upgrade – Improve your Car Audio Output up to 25% | Sonic Electronix Blog
Gain Settings
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...7-simple-cheap-effective-door-treatments.html

Goodluck, p.s I was a lil bored. :p

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I would do a thorough search online (crutchfield for best fitment) with the combo you are wanting (dvd/nav+ processing).. Most of the dvd units don't come with much options as far as processing goes. It's sort of sickening to see a +$1000 unit come with only hi/lo pass filters (2-way) & a small graphic or even smaller parametric eq. Most basic headunits come with that nowadays. You're probably going to need a processor anyway to simulate 5.1 properly if that's what you're going for.

With that you can get a good deal on a used MS-8 here probably. Sold here for less than anywhere else I've seen. Couple that with a less expensive but quality dvd/nav that offers the same features you want and you should be good to go. The MS-8 can drive the stock speakers for simplicity until you warrant a upgrade. Still should have plenty cash left for adding the sub.

That's what I would do, but my word is not the gospel...:blush:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been doing my best to research this stuff for a while now - I try not to be that annoying guy that shows up and just asks for everyone else to do the work for him, but car audio is so complex that I'm getting a little overwhelmed Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - sorry if this is a bit long, haha.

My budget is around $1000-$2000, depending on whether or not I go with a new head unit.

I'm installing this into a new 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T with the completely base audio system - it has two tweeters (3.5") on the dash, two 6x9s in the doors, and two 6x9s in the rears.

One of my big debates is the head unit - should I remove the stock double din and replace it with a full DVD/nav screen, or just keep it and go with a sound processor? If I go the processor route, should I be looking at a JBL, the Fosgate 3sixty, or is it worth it to go big on the MS-8? A screen would be nice, and if a good screen can be had for a price that is similar to a sound processor while also providing that high sound quality, I feel like it would make more sense to just do that?

Discussing this with some of my audio buddies, they believe just disconnecting the rears and going with the doors and tweeters would be best. In this case, I was looking at some Focal comps for the doors, but since my doors are 6x9, would 6.5" speakers still fit, or am I forced into buying 6x9s? I was debating the Focal vs Hybrid Audio Unity vs maybe something from Image Dynamics, hard for me to say which I'd prefer there.

I think I'd like to go with one quality 12" sub that can hit hard while also providing nice sound quality - I know the box and install are the big things here, so I would also like advice on that? Get a local installer to build one, or find someone on this forum to design/build it?

Where I'm really lost is when it comes to the amplifiers, impedance ratings/crossovers/passive vs active, etc. I really haven't been able to make any progress on figuring out/deciding what amplifiers I would need for powering a good 12" sub and all of those speakers, this is one of the areas I'd really like the assistance in.

And if anyone is in the San Diego area (or socal in general) and is good at installing this stuff or knows a good shop I can go to for installation, I'd be much appreciative! And if you know your stuff I'd love to pay for a good install since I know a shop is looking to rip me off. The shops I went into for this were recommending a whole range of expensive low-range speakers and subs and are just a pain to deal with.

Also, my battery is located in my trunk if that matters or maybe makes anything easier for me
i just did one of these with the top of the line nav and boston system in it... the boston system sounds really good for factory... in your situation i would get a dd head like pioneer or jvc something with front rear and sub outs then then new MMATS 6 ch amp call H-HUDIO and get a 6.5 for the door and there 3.5" widebander for the dash... for the rear some 6x9 gained way down for some rear fill and for subs i like 8's so like 4 of the PPI's with the gold cones they are killer and cheap and that should get ya in there below 2 racks!!!!!!:):):)

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I wouldn't suggest switching out tweeters for wide band drivers. The top end just isn't the same. I like mines, but I miss the airiness of a tweeter and will go back soon. Besides it complicates things without a good crossover/eq/processor of some sort. Keeping it simple goes a long way in the end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts