DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all I have learned on DIYMA from the many experts, I'm finally getting into the install of my new system in my 02 F150 SuperCrew and have a question about subs for it.

Here's what I have so far:
HU: Clarion DXZ785USB with Sirius adapter and Sirius receiver
Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Clarus C61-2 Comps powered by an old school Sherwood A100x4 bridged to 250 RMS x 2
Sub box: Sonic Electronix under seat box:
Sonic Sub Box: OCFRD07-12 (ocfrd0712) Ford Sub Enclosures Vehicle Specific Enclosures Subwoofer Enclosures Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix
3/4 MDF, 2.1 ft3 for 2-12s
Sub amp: Cadence TXA-3002 w/ 300 RMS x 2 @ 2ohm or 600 RMS x 1 @ 4 ohm.

I want subs that will blend with the output of the HAT comps. I listen mostly to classic rock, jazz, and country.

My budget for subs is $300 and here is what I have looked at so far arranged by cost:
1. CDT Audio EF-120 D4 - $160 per pair.
CDT Audio EF-120 Essence - 12" Subwoofer Single or Dual Voice Coil - Two For One Sale - Subwoofers - Best Car Audio, Car Stereo, Auto Sound
2. MB Quart RWE-304 - $200 per pair.
RWE-304 - MB Quart 12" 1000 Watt Reference Series Subwoofer
3. ID IDQ12V2 D4 - $300 per pair.
IDQ12V2.D4 - Image Dynamics 12" IDQ Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer

What are your thoughts about these choices or other choices that will fit in my $300 budget for 2 - 12s.

I feel like I have a good start on a good system and want to be sure I pick some adequate subs for now. I can upgrade in the future when funds allow. That 120 ft3 of deadener and 125 ft of volara foam put a hurt on my sub-money.

I appreciate all opinions and suggestions.

Thanks

George

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
With your listening preferences I'd choose the Image Dynamics from that list personally.

Then again the price is pretty dang tempting on those CDTs...

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Treetop,

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree about the price of the CDTs. I haven't found much info on them or reviews. The little I find on searches usually don't consider them over other choices.

Even though the ID v2s are older versions, they are IDQs.

I guess my problem is not having heard any of them. The only shops around me carry either cheap stuff for the kids or higher end SPL subs that won't fit in my application or take too much power. I guess I could get those Audiobahns with the cool flames around here :) NOT.

Anybody have any experience with the CDTs or other worthy lower dollar subs that are decent?

George

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
These subs will blend ;) , they are within your price guidelines :)

Diyma Sound Quality Small Box Subwoofer 12" - eBay (item 200324156862 end time Apr-23-09 18:12:12 PDT)

specs:

# Recommended enclosure is 1cft sealed box .
# Recommended amplifer power 300 to 600 watts per sub
# Single 4 ohm voice coil
# QTS: .354
# FS: 25hz
# VAS: 41.7 L
# RE: 3.6 Ohm
# BL: 22
# SPL: 84.3 dbwm
# Le: 1.3mh
# Xmax: 23mm 1 way (71% bl, 25% cms)
# Xmech: 64mm peak to peak
# Weight: 37 lbs
# Cutout diameter: 28cm
# Mounting depth: 16cm
# Driver volume: .15 cft

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Go with the IDQ's. Very nice subs...you may want to consider 1 12" IDQV3 or find someone on here selling an IDMAX 12".

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A$$hole,

Thanks for the link to the DIYMAs. Now that's a deal and is a LOT of sub for my money.
I'll have to check the depth on the box to make sure they'll fit. 16 cm (6.3 inches) may be too deep for that box, especially with the diameter of those magnets :)
That box goes from 8 inches at the bottom to 5 inches at the top. The box shipped yesterday and I will have it Thursday and will take some measurements. That's the only vehicle specific box I found with 2-12s, 3/4 in construction and enough volume (2.1 ft3).

If they would fit, that's a great possibility.

Niebur3 and Porky,

The IDQ v3 would be great, but way out of my price range right now. The IDMAX is way way out of my price range and wouldn't begin to fit my box. Depth is too shallow on that box.

Thanks for the ideas though. Keep those ideas coming.

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
754 Posts
Also look at Elemental Designs 13kv.2 subwoofers. They are like 100 bucks each straight from ED and come with a 2 year warranty. Their mounting depth is only like 5.5 inches or something like that and their power recommendation matches your application well.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
George,

You can add a piece of wood for a gap if you have too ;)

just cut a piece and add it to the front of the enclosure.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mSaLL150,

Thanks for the info. I did check the eD site. They discontinued the 13kv.2. The e3.12 took it's place at $125 each. They only come in D2 configuation which won't work with my amp to give me the full 600 watts.

A$$hole, from the pictures of the box that they have already cutout a hole for the magnet and put a board behind it if that is what you are suggesting.

If not, I'm a little slow and may need a better description. I am getting older so a picture wouldn't hurt either :)

It looks like the diyma reference 12s are single 4 ohm which would also cause me problems getting the full 600 out of my TXA-3002 amp. It's [email protected] or [email protected] bridged.

I could use the Sherwood amp at [email protected] bridged and the TXA-3002 at [email protected] for the comps. Not my first choice but it could work out.

George

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mless5,

You're not hijacking. The more the merrier.

My 100x4 is new. I bought it about 8 years ago for $80 thinking I'd use it someday. Sat in the closet til now.

How did yours perform? Was the output up to the rating?

Wouldn't mind a second one for that matching look :)

What shape is yours in?

George

1 - 12 of 12 Posts