DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I've been reading through the first 10 pages of posts and found a lot of useful information. I'm looking to upgrade my front stage components and was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Currently my front stage is a set of MB Quart QM215.61Q running off a Tru T03-4.150 actively crossed over by my head unit. My sub system is a DD Audio 9510 running off a Tru Hammer H-1.

I like the high frequency extension of the MB tweeters (attenuated about 4 db from the mids) but I wish I could get a little more midbass out of my set. I know that 5.25" drivers usually don't have much midbass but I've heard other cars with 5.25" with decent midbass without pulling the image back towards the sub. I've been looking at the Seas Reference set and hopefully find a way to fit 6.5" mids in the door or DLS Iridium 6.2.

The drivers will be installed in the doors of my Audi S4. The door does not have 2 metal skins like most doors. The driver is mounted directly to the door panel. I would think this has and effect on midbass output. The available mounting depth is only about 65mm or 2.5". I listen to mostly alternative music.

Sorry for the long post. I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give me.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, one more thing. While reading about the Seas drivers here, I notice people talking about notch filtering. What is this for? It seems that it is used to try and fix an unwanted peak in the frequency response. Is this a function of the installation or a function of the driver?

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
i believe you only have to worry about notch filtering if your speakers are aimed at your head. which wouldn't be an issue if mounted in a door. Also it is difficult to tell the diffrence in the car audio enviroment.

correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If your lowpass for the mids are low enough, you can get away without using a notch filter. I keep my lotus refs around 2.0khz and down, on an 18db slope. I've heard lotus refs that is crossed at about 1.5khz w/12db slope and it still sounds amazing. I think the peak exist greatly at ~4khz. As long as you're not crossing too high, you'll be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts