DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a pair of Exodus Ex-Anarchy Midwoofers and Peerless HDS Tweets installed in some kick pods.

I'm using a MS-8 for processing (processing is actually set to OFF, just using it for cross overs).

I've read through the entire MS8 thread, I've tried all the possible options and combinations. With the processing set to active, the music sounds very bland, shallow, not alive. Excuse me for my lack of proper terms.

With the processing set to OFF, everything comes alive, sounds way better overall.

I've tried about 50 different crossover points, currently I'm sitting around:

70hz 18db slope - Exodus - 1800-1950hz 18db slope - Peerless HDS Tweets.

The midbass seems a little lacking on the majority of material. I've read that the ms8 plays everything flat and that's actually better SQ, that some people like that artificial bump EQ for more midbass and the ms8 seems lacking. Perhaps I like that "artificial bump." :D

If I play some songs from the Focal JMLab CD, like "improvisation", "Drum-toms", or some Blue man group, then the midbass is pretty decent.

However, If I play several Tool albums, A Perfect Circle, Metallica, Pink Floyd, etc, it's lacking.

My kick pods are currently sealed. I modeled them in Winisd with a closed enclosure with 100ft^3 (simulating opening the back of the kickpod to the cabin) and that didn't improve output in the midbass region. Porting the pods is out because the port length would be ridiculous.

Does anyone have an EQ tips besides just raising the entire midbass region?
Do I need to do a 3way and cross the Exodus' lower?
How low can the peerless hds tweets be crossed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I think the MS-8 can have its target curve adjusted. Sounds like that's what you'd want... the target curve adjusted to be heavier on midbass.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I just adjusted the port area for venting the kick pods and got the port length down. Just have to measure the internal volume of the pods and make sure it works out.

Thinking about tuning around 60-70hz. This will significantly raise output on the bottom end, also make for a big spike at tuning, but I could EQ that down.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive seen a few threads about rta apps on android phones, that doesn't sound like it would be very accurate, but people are saying they work quite well.

Would that suffice? As im currently in no position to buy an rta.

Ill check out your build log, thanks.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The RTA I have on my Iphone is enough to find the issues that I am referring to (not a extremely accurate tool but good enough). Long story short is that I went through months of tuning, re-tuning, and troubleshooting the MS-8 only to find out that my speakers/speaker locations were causing the main issues. Without a kick rebuild the MS-8 has been ineffective. Manual tuning has gotten it good but it took LARGE corrections to make it happen. I will be rebuilding the kicks to try and address the situation in a more beneficial manner (large boost/cuts in magnitude on an EQ also does some potentially negative things to phase response - building a system that doesn't require large corrections typically sounds better).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my driver kick:

Passenger is just like it except that it's aimed at the driver seat.

A bit different then how yours are aimed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts