DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am currently content with my front stage. But...and in car audio, there is ALWAYS A BUT!...I eventually would like to try my hand at installing a dedicated midrange (3 to 4in) in my front stage. Looking for some creative examples of what you all have done out there. I drive a 2003 Ford Focus ZX5. Currently, my tweeters are mounted in my sail panels (they are pretty far forward from where I sit) and my soundstage is pretty high and up on my dash. I tried playing with various positions located in my A-pillars, but the staging just didn't sound as good as they did in the sail panels. Thoughts?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Kick panels, im a firm believer in keeping the midrange and tweet as close together as possible.

Ill get some picks of mine tomorrow

·
Registered
430 Posts
here u go, the first the are the old and newer kick set-ups in my tahoe and the the last two are my old three way set-up in my altima. hope these are the examples u where looking for!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect examples! Thank you sooo much. Still would like to see some pics of a Focus, if anyone out there has any. As far as the soundstage, being that you have the kicks aimed up at you, how was the imaging? I am having troubles imagining the soundstage on top of my dash with the speakers being at my side and down near my feet. Can you explain? Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fiercetimbo17, I agree with you hence why my TW2s are in my sail panels. They are currently between 9 and 10 inches away from my mids. Thank goodness, in my Focus, the stock location for the door speakers are actually above my leg! I love it since I am really hearing a stage up on top of my dash. I believe my speaker locations has something to do with this effect and not just my time alignment.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It might sound stupid, but, really, practically in real life application, how do you stop yourself and more importantly your passenger from kicking into those nice speakers on the floor.... and keep dust/dirt/snow/water/mud away?

·
Registered
784 Posts
You can see my old set up here http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/6387-fiesta-install.html#post68390 there are more pics on the build etc in the thread but thats just the post with the best pics of the finished product.

Car is a Fiesta so layout etc is probably similar to a Focus, as you can see I had them firing directly across the dash, in that configuration the imageing and centre image focus was excellant, it was the first thing people commented on when sitting in the car's drivers seat, sounded terrible from the passengers side though lol but that is the result of huge path length differences and using TA.

I now have them pretty close to on axis which has made the detail and clarity better, but i've lost the great imageing and staging I had previously, it's still good just not as good as previously.

edit: didn't realise but at the end of the thread there are pics of newer A pillars unfinished.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
On the contrary, I think kick-mounted tweeters sound terrible and hate them with a passion. :)

HAT L841-3 system...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Dodge ram, if you have drivers in the door, the I would go with a dome mid so you would not have to worry about them being enclosed.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
DLS IR3 and Seas tweeter. Midbass is in the stock location in the door. Car is a 2008 Civic coupe.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My midrange and tweeters are in my kicks on axis, I personally dont have any problems with stage height, however i also have a small car and feel it has something to do with it as well. I do have a issue of stage depth vs having my mid and tweet in the pillar but that is nothing some EQing wont fix.

Mine have grills over them and i wouldnt do it any other way. Ive seen multiple people kick them a few time, one of my grills is kinda dented as well. Matter of fact my girlfriend uses kicks as a foot rest in the car, most annoying thing ever.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
I live in Puyallup and have some CDM 88's if you wanna move them around and see how a 3 inch dome fits. Renton is about 30 minutes from here.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
ooo...oooo...here's mine! :)

:) My comps are finally on-axis but I still need to buy a future processor and implement a time-delay fix for perfect imaging. The imaging isn't really 'bad' but it should be 'great' and that is the eventual goal.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
The answer is no.
I designed them to spec. And made sure they were built right. I hired a shop to actually do the building. I didn't want to risk costing myself more money than this job would cost. The two jobs combined were a mere $700 for the doors and the kicks. I couldn't beat that deal. It very likely would have taken me several tries and nearly as much money to do an inferior amatuer job. If anyone could get a deal like that I would suggest having them built.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
so...I'm not on your ignore list, sweetie?

Lemme ask, if you were going to do that, why didn't you sityuate your mids and tweets up high? If you were already gunna pay someone, I mean.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
do your arms sweat when they rest on the fiberglass??

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
My Infinity 6.5's are too big to put in the pillars. I'm going to do 3" mids (probly a Tang Band 3" dome mid) in the pillars with my Infinity tweets someday when I go active and have the MS-8. But that's a long way off.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts