DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I've lurked for quite a while. I'm new at this, so I'm probably going to ask a question that's been asked or two. I'm also hoping I've chosen the right section, if I haven't, can a mod please move this?

I'm trying to figure out what works best for my situation here. I've dabbled in car audio for a bit now... Mainly going off reccomendations I've recieved in other forums (originally bimmerwerks and now preludepower). Unfortunatley those forums are not quite specific enough for what I'm trying to achieve anymore. So I'm here.

Here's where I'm at with my system at the moment. In a 2000 Honda Prelude.
Source:
Farenheit double din DVD reciever, 5.8" screen. (soon to be replaced with a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD)

Front:
Rockford Fosgate T152s components running off a RF P400.4

Rear:
Rockford Fosgate T210D4 running off a T500.2 bridged

My situation is this, one of the midranges from my componets decided to quit working. The first peice of advice I took in car audio was "Buy component speakers, don't waste time with 2/3 way speakers". Now what I'm hearing is, "don't waste time with passive crossovers, go active".

So now I'm at the point where I'd like to build me a front stage. I was considering doing a three-way system... unfortunatley with the economy at the moment I'm looking to upgrade one component at a time. I'm a HUGE fan of doing things right the first time. Not afraid to spend a little cash, as long as I wont have to spend more later.... That said, my entire car sounds off balance and it's driving me up a wall... So i'd like to resolve this quickly.

#1a. First of all I'm going to need a crossover. Now I've read that I can use the crossovers in my amplifier and head unit to avoid using a seperate crossover... With the new source unit i've suggested (Link Removed) and the crossover in that headunit would I be able to do such a thing? Or should I spring for a seperate crossover.

#1b. If that setup isn't sufficient, what would be a good option to go with? I've been looking at the Audiocontrol 4xs... But it doesn't appear to have a bandpass filter for running a midrange speaker. The other one I considered was the Lanzar Vibex6, but that one doesn't appear to have such a thing either.... And from the searches i've done it doesn't look like anyone is really too thrilled with either choice...

#2. I'd be keeping the tweeters from my current component speakers and running those until cash comes in for an upgrade. I was considering some of CDT's products as well as some from Focal. I was really interested by the M6+ due to it's power handling... I was also looking at some 4" midrange speakers as well... Basically coming down to the decision.... which should I buy first.... the M6+ or a 4" midrange speaker to fill in where the old 5.25" failed. With the M6 would I need a seperate "midrange" to have it sound right?

#3. What should my first move be, new source unit? buying a crossover?

I hope i've been clear enough with these questions, if clarification is needed let me know. Again I apologize if this has been asked 10,000 times before or if I posted in the wrong section, I'm just on information overload right now from reading all this and I'd like to make a well informed decision about where my paycheck goes.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
A Pioneer HU or Alpine HU ,etc.., with active x-over capability should be your first purchase ;)

880,800...9887, etc.,

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
If it can do this you're good ;)

Quote>
The built-in DSP also allows a huge amount of control. If you like to tweak your sound, you'll like this unit. It gives you six channels of time correction, 3-way or 2-way crossover, seven-band graphic EQ or five-band parametric EQ

IMPRINT - Alpine CDA-9887 - Review - Car Audio & Electronics Magazine

WEll just put in the CDA-9887, had prior IDA-X001, CDA-9857, CDA-9855, CDA-9835

All I can say is the HU sounds like the CDA-9855 I had minus the ****ty glide touch! Using it with the H701 / RUX C701, CDT US200 M6 mids, ES-01, DRT-26 tweets front stage, Rear CDT HD-6 compnents set with Memphis M-class silk domes, and 2-ED 11 KV2's (just changed to a sealed enlosure from ported) 2-JL 300/2's and one JL 500/1. The sound is nothing short of amazing! Far and away blows the IDA out of the water, very similar to my old 9855 minus the glide touch crap.

Quote>

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
The Audio Control 4XS definitely does do bandpass for midrange, in fact it's a pretty flexible crossover in that it can be used as 3-way plus rear, or even 4-way. It technically has 3 bandpass filters and one highpass filter if set up properly, or the PFM filter can be defeated to run the sub as a true lowpass and have bandpass for midbass, bandpass for midrange, and highpass for tweeters. Or lowpass for subs, bandpass for midrange, highpass for tweeters and highpass for rears, etc.. It's a bit tricky to set up and the crossover modules have to be changed to try different requencies, but you can get the correct resistor networks from Mouser for about 50 cents apiece.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it can do this you're good ;)

Quote>
The built-in DSP also allows a huge amount of control. If you like to tweak your sound, you'll like this unit. It gives you six channels of time correction, 3-way or 2-way crossover, seven-band graphic EQ or five-band parametric EQ

IMPRINT - Alpine CDA-9887 - Review - Car Audio & Electronics Magazine

WEll just put in the CDA-9887, had prior IDA-X001, CDA-9857, CDA-9855, CDA-9835

All I can say is the HU sounds like the CDA-9855 I had minus the ****ty glide touch! Using it with the H701 / RUX C701, CDT US200 M6 mids, ES-01, DRT-26 tweets front stage, Rear CDT HD-6 compnents set with Memphis M-class silk domes, and 2-ED 11 KV2's (just changed to a sealed enlosure from ported) 2-JL 300/2's and one JL 500/1. The sound is nothing short of amazing! Far and away blows the IDA out of the water, very similar to my old 9855 minus the glide touch crap.

Quote>
Ok, so the receiver I had selected doesn't come with that, I believe you have to purchase a seperate module such as the DEQ-P8000...

The Audio Control 4XS definitely does do bandpass for midrange, in fact it's a pretty flexible crossover in that it can be used as 3-way plus rear, or even 4-way. It technically has 3 bandpass filters and one highpass filter if set up properly, or the PFM filter can be defeated to run the sub as a true lowpass and have bandpass for midbass, bandpass for midrange, and highpass for tweeters. Or lowpass for subs, bandpass for midrange, highpass for tweeters and highpass for rears, etc.. It's a bit tricky to set up and the crossover modules have to be changed to try different requencies, but you can get the correct resistor networks from Mouser for about 50 cents apiece.
This looks like the route I'm planning on taking.... Replacing the source unit isn't gonna really make sense as the first step unless I can find one with similar features to the one that I have. Looks like all the pioneer DVD recievers are going to require that add on module. I'll just keep what I've got at the moment until I feel like taking the plunge for a new receiver.
Sound like a plan?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok, so the receiver I had selected doesn't come with that, I believe you have to purchase a seperate module such as the DEQ-P8000...

This looks like the route I'm planning on taking.... Replacing the source unit isn't gonna really make sense as the first step unless I can find one with similar features to the one that I have. Looks like all the pioneer DVD recievers are going to require that add on module. I'll just keep what I've got at the moment until I feel like taking the plunge for a new receiver.
Sound like a plan?
this is a topic i'm wrestling with as well. fwiw the headunit was is the easiest. unless you're really attached to to your screen you're best getting the 9887 or 880prs. otherwise your add on DSP does the trick too but at a monetary cost as well as a phyical space cost. up to you really.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is a topic i'm wrestling with as well. fwiw the headunit was is the easiest. unless you're really attached to to your screen you're best getting the 9887 or 880prs. otherwise your add on DSP does the trick too but at a monetary cost as well as a phyical space cost. up to you really.
Yeah I'm not willing to give up the screen... I've grown quite attached to it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah I'm not willing to give up the screen... I've grown quite attached to it.
purchase a processor of some sort then. Depending on budget will depend what you can get. It seems the "cheapest" (cost wise) processors on the market are alpines pxe-h650 and the rf 's 360.2.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So just going with one of those audiocontrol units wouldn't cut it?

Trust me, I've had my eye on the 360.2 for awhile... but it's a bit of a financial plunge atm...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bump... Looking for a consensus about that audiocontrol 4xs vs the 360.2,

Would I be able to use that audiocontrol 4xs in the meantime while 360.2 money shows up?

·
Registered
39 Posts
sorry to dig up an old post (didn't want to start a new thread for a similar question).
I was wondering about this hook up:
AVH-P4100DVD ---> RF 360.2 ---> Amps

the question now is if the above arrangement will achieve similar results to say a CDA-9887 or PRS800 considering the quality of the Alpine and Pioneer DSP stages as opposed to the RF360.2?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts