DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a poll quickly without having all the info before so I will just make this post and hope to get some sub suggestions that will fit my needs.

First, this is going into the back of a 2010 Toyota Rav4. It will be powered by an Audison LRx 5.1k which will give it 750 watt rms at 4 ohm or 1150 watt rms at 2 ohm (prefered). I would prefer to get as much output as I can so I am kind of leaning toward a 2 ohm sub. I want it to be a 12 as I have a 10 right now (ML2500 Hertz) that is not really doing it for me output wise. I listen to pretty much anything from Adele to Aerosmith to Black Eyed Peas. My fave would probably be jazz/vocal and rock. I don't like most rap and derivatives of that. My front stage is Hertz ML165 set run actively through a BIt One.1. I have room for up to around 1.25 ft3 I figure but would rather keep it to around 1 ft3 sealed. I also only have max 6.5 inches depth and would like to stay around 6 or under to be safe.

Some of the subs I want to hear currently as I really don't want to buy without hearing first are the Morel Ultimo 12 SC and regular 2 ohm, Hertz ML3000 (not avail. in 2 ohm), IDQ 12 2 ohm (won't handle that power?), TC Sounds Epic 12 (not avail. in 2 ohm), Dayton HO 12 DVC (can't handle power?), Arc Audio Black 12 2 ohm (too much power?). That's about all I have come up with. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking forward to hearing a JBL W12GTI 6ohm DVC subwoofer.
JBL's mounting depth eliminates them for me. 10.25 inch mount depth? really?...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
oh.. didn't see that.. but in the end .. most of the "super subwoofers" that can handle your power have pretty massive depth.

Unless 2ohm is absolutely necessary, I personally would look into subs that are wired for 4ohms. Why? 1150 vs 750watts will not buy you a lot of sonic output. Maybe just 1dB of headroom? On the other hand, you amplifier will probably be running cooler and more efficiently with 4ohm subs. You have some good options listed there. Let us know how the audition goes.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh.. didn't see that.. but in the end .. most of the "super subwoofers" that can handle your power have pretty massive depth.

Unless 2ohm is absolutely necessary, I personally would look into subs that are wired for 4ohms. Why? 1150 vs 750watts will not buy you a lot of sonic output. Maybe just 1dB of headroom? On the other hand, you amplifier will probably be running cooler and more efficiently with 4ohm subs. You have some good options listed there. Let us know how the audition goes.
That's the problem for me. No place around here has any of these subs to demo. This place is pretty desolate when it comes to car audio unfortunately. I really don't want to buy another sub without hearing it first. This is my rock and a hard place - so to say.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How about the Diamond Audio D6 series. I have heard that those sound good.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about the Diamond Audio D6 series. I have heard that those sound good.
Thanks for the suggestion but at almost 7 inch mounting depth it is probably out. ONly 600 watts rms power handling is a little scarey too. Does power handling really matterin a sealed box tho? I am very curious of this last question. Don't want to be blowing up subs but I have heard it is pretty hard to do that with too much power.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion but at almost 7 inch mounting depth it is probably out. ONly 600 watts rms power handling is a little scarey too. Does power handling really matterin a sealed box tho? I am very curious of this last question. Don't want to be blowing up subs but I have heard it is pretty hard to do that with too much power.
I am sure that sub will handle your amp. I like to use more then the rated RMS. Good luck

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
An Fi Q might fit the bill.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I also hate buying w/o touching & hearing the speaker however I had no other option. The 3 of 4 shops (not including best buy) carry JL & state it's the best they offer while the other shop carries Diamond as their top brand. Other items are Boston , Arc, Alpine & I never considered parts express which is 4 miles from me.

Everything I have read on this site pushed me to the Ultimo 12 (the cheaper one... I think SC) as well as mag reviews. I do not know how to do a spare tire build & the shop I selected to do the work the owner is familiar with my old Adcom amps & has heard Morel subs (said they sounded great) but never sold them. I took my stuff by to him a few weeks ago to get a price estimate & he was extremely impressed by the morel sub & can't wait to hear what is sounds like. At this time I am using a 1st gen PDX 1000w amp on the sub, everyone claims 1.25cu ft is idea so that's what we are doing.

Anyways... no clue what to say other then that. Seems like for SQ the morel's are at the top of the list for subs. I paid under $400 for my sub new which wasn't a lot more then the IDQ I was considering.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a depth limit?
Yes, it is listen in my lead post here. About 6.5 inches and ideally 6 inches or under.

An Fi Q might fit the bill.
I was looking strongly at this one but I think it is a little deep and someone on here I trust said they had issues getting it to blend with his front stage.

Viggen - you have PM.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let's try a slightly different idea here. My speakers - Hertz MLK165 are fairly popular here or at least I think they are. What are these people running for a sub in these vehicles and how does it work for you? If you could mention what your vehicle is and what you are powering everything with that could really help me out here too.

Also I would like to know what people are running for sub and power in any similar vehicle to mine. I have a Toyota Rav-4 so any small-midsize SUV - ie. CRV, Mazda 5/CX7/CX9, Infinity FX35/EX35, Lexus RX350, etc.

Any suggestions much appreciated as always. As of right now, I think the Morel Ultimo 12 SC is the best for me. Now, if I could just get one to listen to around this car audio wasteland (apologies MSC:cool:).

·
Registered
238 Posts
One cubic foot is pretty darn small for a 12" sub.

Kicker Solobarik L7 (square one)?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
By the way, have you looked specifically into purpose built thin subwoofers? Alpine SWR-T12 seem to have a good reputation in SQ department.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One cubic foot is pretty darn small for a 12" sub.

Kicker Solobarik L7 (square one)?
I can probably go a little bigger - up to around 1.5 ft3 likely. I didn't think kicker made anything sq oriented at all...

By the way, have you looked specifically into purpose built thin subwoofers? Alpine SWR-T12 seem to have a good reputation in SQ department.
I just looked them up and don't like the higher fs and don't think the handle enough power for what I want to do. Not an overly large Alpine fan either. If I was going to try the thin method I would probably look to the JL 13w5 I think it is.

absolutely worth the sacrifice in depth, but since you don't have the room-- second the Alpine.
Thanks for the suggestion. Don't think either will work unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I ran into these JBL W12GTI 6ohm DVC woofers the other day. what wiring configurations can these be wired at when used as a single sub setup?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I ran into these JBL W12GTI 6ohm DVC woofers the other day. what wiring configurations can these be wired at when used as a single sub setup?

12 or 3 ohms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts