DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am curious as to what the term "Discrete 4 channel" in car audio means, and how that pertains to installation diagrams of the attached amp & graphic equalizer?

I am really wanting to keep the factory 4-channel stereo in my 1972 Ford BUT, would love to improve the sound quality..

Thank you,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
These days it means that the amp is small. How small...now that is the question.
What the descriptions should day is that the amp can be mounted in discrete out of the way locations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah thank you!

Now the second part of the question would be, can I hook one or the other AMP or Graphic EQ I show in the two attachments in my initial post?

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts
Reactions: Jheitt142

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello all!

I am curious as to what the term "Discrete 4 channel" in car audio means, and how that pertains to installation diagrams of the attached amp & graphic equalizer?
"discrete" is just referring to four individiual amplified channels, or even two pairs of stereo amplified channels. Moving up from common grounded pairs or mono output it was an expensive upgrade in the 70's.

Adding a powered eq from the 70/80's to a radio from the 70's, is just going to make the garbage sound a little louder.

Why not just purchase a modern amplifier with bluetooth/Dsp to power your speakers. Leave the Oem radio in place for the asthetic, but have hidden modern equipment actually producing the sound.

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
They look nice, but have the audio quality of your average walmart dual radio.

While I appreciate the knock, how would you compare them against a 50 year old OEM Ford radio?

·
Registered
480 Posts
As said in your intro thread, your best bet is to run a small 4 channel amp. you could even bypass the stock stereo all together and have the system run directly off your phone independent of the headunit. Your common ground issue wont be a problem when using high level inputs on an amp. any small 4ch amp with be a huge upgrade. Your biggest problem is you have zero power, and trying to run the aftermarket coax on such low power is creating the garbage sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Discrete 4 channel" just means you have 4 seperate channels. Has nothing to do with size or its ability to keep its mouth shut :)
;)Kind of like me....I am known not to have a filter! Anyways, thank you for the better answer...I was pretty sure the one answer I got "Able to be put in a remote, out of the way location" was a silly one.

Any ways, How should I hook up this graphic equalizer, using my Factory, 1972 Ford 4 channel stereo?

Thank you in advance!
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
exactly as the diagram shows. run a left, right and a ground. then hook up the four speakers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is where I was leaning but was not sure of which, of the 4 channels from my head unit, which left & right, if any, would be best to use? Then, what about the remaining 2 channels...just cap & leave disconnected?

Thank you,
Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts