DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been into car audio in many years and am looking to buy a new subwoofer. Back then I only bought household name brands like Zapco, JL, Phoenix Gold, Focal, etc. Can anyone suggest a smaller company that makes a decent product?

I prefer any single sub between 8-12 inch, sealed box smaller than 2 cubic feet. Pricing isn't much of a concern. Just want good SQ and overall quality.

Will be powered by a Pioneer GM-9701. 500w @ 4 ohm , 800w [email protected] 2, or 1200w @ 1 ohm.

I'm leaning toward an Audiofrog GB10 or GB12 but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Audiofrog, Stevens Audio, and Audio Development are all small companies that make great subs.

Edit: I take it back, I can’t find any subs on the Stevens Audio site. For some reason I thought there were some.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dayton Audio has been around for a while and still are for a decent budgeted sub woofer and still carry a 5 year warranty of which is hard to find these days beyond a 1 year warranty.I have a pair of Dayton HO DVC4 ohm that I may unload soon that were played for approx. 2 months and placed back in original boxing.Went to an SPL set up only reason put back up. But they need a min of 1.0 sealed. Id check those out for the $

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Dayton Audio has been around for a while and still are for a decent budgeted sub woofer and still carry a 5 year warranty of which is hard to find these days beyond a 1 year warranty.I have a pair of Dayton HO DVC4 ohm that I may unload soon that were played for approx. 2 months and placed back in original boxing.Went to an SPL set up only reason put back up. But they need a min of 1.0 sealed. Id check those out for the $
and a HUGE company.;)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Adire Audio

Also handmade in the USA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even know some of these companies existed.

I think I'm gonna pick up a B stock Brahma 12.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Based on the amp you have and your desire for SQ, i think the Audiofrog GB10 ( or 12 ) would be a much better choice.
Haha! As if an xbl^2 driver wasn't built for sound quality.

I've owned the adire koda 10 and the audiofrog gb10. In my personal opinion, I thought the koda was a better sounding driver as far as pure sound quality is concerned.

And he has 1200 watts at 1 ohm. I have 5-600 watts on my gb10 sealed and it pushes it to its limit.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Haha! As if an xbl^2 driver wasn't built for sound quality.

I've owned the adire koda 10 and the audiofrog gb10. In my personal opinion, I thought the koda was a better sounding driver as far as pure sound quality is concerned.

And he has 1200 watts at 1 ohm. I have 5-600 watts on my gb10 sealed and it pushes it to its limit.
I've had XBL subs and trust me the GB12 sounds way better. Plus its probably not ideal to run entry level class D amps at 1ohm if SQ is what you are going for. I suggested the GB10 based it running at 2 or 4 ohms on the Pioneer amp and it would have more than enough output for a SQ set up.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
AF GB12 or Stereo Integrity RM12. Acoustic Elegance do make amazing subs, but they don't have an updated version of the AV series which did so well in a car. For the box size you've specified, the GB12 or RM12 would be just wonderful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last week Crutchfield finally had a single GB12D4 in stock and my impatience (free next day delivery) got the best of me so I bought it.

I put it in a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box and I was giggling like a little kid upon first listen. Thought I'd have to add a small wood block to decrease the airspace a little, but I'm 110% happy with the way it sounds.

I love the sub so much I might buy another or an RM-12 for my beater car.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Wait till you try it in a low tuned ported box. It’s an awesome subwoofer and I love mine too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts