DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this the wrong way...bought first then asked questions. I have an Alpine 164BT head unit, Infinity Kappa 4x6 RMS 60w 2 ohm speakers in the dash, MB Quart ZCI-216 6.5 120w RMS 4 Ohm speakers in the doors, and I bought 2 SoundQuebed HDS 2.110 dual voice coil 4 Ohm 600w RMS sub woofers not yet installed. I also bought an Alpine PDR V-75 5channel amp. After I bought it I called Alpine and they said no way. Fortunately I was able to return the amplifier. I thought I was doing all the right research, but, I failed miserably. Alpine told me I needed 2 amps to power all of this. My problem is what amps? Alpine said 1200w mono block for the subs plus another 4 channel for the rest. They suggested their PDX M12 and their PDR F-50. Very expensive. I care more about good sound than how loud I can get it. I thought I understood all the numbers but I did not. I would appreciate any help I can get. I would like some brand suggestions as well. This is all going into a standard cab full size truck.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I think the Alpine guy was being a bit too serious about the situation. The only concern I would have is the 2 ohm nominal load on the 4x6"s. i believe those amps are only rated to handle a minimum 4 ohm nominal load. BUT....the entire reason amp's can't drive low loads is due to the increased current going through the power circuit. With 4x6"s it's very unlikely you will be able to send much power to them and you'll need to run a high-pass crossover that will add a bit of an impedance boost from the crossover point and down. Point being - you would have been fine running that amp.

Another thing that wouldn't prevent you from running the amp but might not have been ideal is the nominal impedance of the subs wired together. You can get a final impedance of 4 ohms or 1 ohm. That amp makes it's power into a 2 ohm load but can't handle a 1 ohm load, so by hooking them up at 4 ohms you won't get much power out of the amp. Ideally you would want a 5 channel amp that can handle a 1 ohm impedance on the sub channel or makes it's most power at 4 ohms.

You could potentially switch to two amps - a 4 channel and a mono - and vastly increase you choice in equipment. There's tons of mono amps that can handle a 1 ohm load and any 4 channel will handle the rest of the speakers. Of course, this make wiring more expensive and complicated, so that's something to consider.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had someone tell me to get a 2 channel amp for the 6.5's and just run the 4x6's from the head unit and 1200-1500w mono block for the subs. Ideas??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts