DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

been a while since our last build log...in between Joey and I had to work on a few projects that did not involve a vehicle, but it was nice to be able to build a SQ system in this 2014 GT-R Track Edition at the same time.

We learned a lot of things from the previous GT-R project and a lot of similar techniques have been applied to this one.

The goals though, were slightly different this time around:

1. achieve a nice level of sound quality utilizing customer supplied front stage
2. obtain a high level of bass output
3. Cleanly fit 5 amplifiers and 2 12" subwoofers in the trunk while still maintain a bit of usable trunk space

so obviously, part 3 was the most difficult goal to obtain. the GT-R, while not having a tiny trunk, is certainly not cavernous. the customer had four very cool old school sony mobile ES amps that will power the front stage while a single big mosconi sub amp will run the subs. on paper, i thought it should be okay, it wasnt until i started laying it out in the trunk when i thought to my self, good lord its gonna be tight haha.

but anyway, lets get started :)

lets first take a look at this unique track edition beast in all her glory, with a nice two tone black and white finish. the other key change is that there are no rear seats in the car, instead, two quited covers sit in the place for weight savings.

like Lunchbox's GTR, this one is able to be charged via a stinger power supply built into the vehicle. just like that car, the extension cord is located in the fuel filler door. Simply unplug the plug cap and plug the car in :)

basically a hole was carefully drilled on the side of the inner fender panel, a grommet installed, and the extension cord passed through and fished out from the interior:

Moving to the front and underhood, with all the amps the car is running, we ran two 0 gauge power cables back, this involved a similar metal bracket as the other GTR, housing a dual 0 ga in dual 0 ga out fuse block:

here is the metal mounting brack joey fabricated for the car:

and here are two quick shots of the wiring bundle as it enters the battery compartment and is neatly organized:

moving onto the signal source. Like the other GT-R, the owner wanted an unadulterated signal sources to head his sq system. so we performed the same surgery as the othe car, and built a custom black acrylic fascia housing a Pioneer 80PRS headunit and the Mosconi DSP controller that takes the place of the stock headunit:

the first step of this process is the complete disassembly and sectioning of the oem headunit. the only piece that was kept essentially was the brain, with the removal of the cd transport and the sat radio module, this essentially reduced the size of the unit in half, which was then housed in a custom built abs box, plugged back into the car and tucked away under the new headunit/dsp mounting:

using a template we had before, joey created the two piece mounting system for the headunit and the dsp controller. the unit is bolted via the stock bracket, the rear section secured in place, and the cosmetic front trim magnatizes onto it to form a seamless yet easily servicable mounting system :)

moving onto the front stage, which consists of a set of Ground Zero Plutonium 3 way system. The midbass was installed into the stock lower door location.

first, new speaker wires were run into the door:

next, the outter door panel received 18 blackhole tiles each:

the opening was then covered with focal BAM XXL, while customer supplied dynamat ultra went on the area around the speaker mounting:

a pair of speaker adapter baffles was fabricated and i coated them with several layers truck bedliner to protect them from the elements:

these was then bolted to the door using oem hardware and mounting points:

and the ground zero plutonium midbass installed:

the GZ midbass was of the beefier midbasses i have seen with quite a large phase plug, and its kinda cool having it peer out through the semi transparent oem grille:

finally, the outter door card was smothered with a lot of customer supplied dynamat:

the same procedure went for the passenger door:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the 3" midrange and tweeter was molded into custom fiberglass A pillars. As per the customers request, we sent them off to one of the best upholstery shops in the bay area and had them stitched and wrapped in black alcantra, i have to say they did a super job :) the tricky part about this pillar is that the driver side dash is several inches higher than the passenger, not leaving a whole lot of molding room, i aimed the speakers on axis with the opposite listener.

a coupla build pics of the pillars, i forgot a few pictures as it was quite late on a friday as i was finishing them. :)

but first, here are the stock pillars before and after i removed the leather and ground everything down to bare plastic:

then i cut a long slot into the pillars and aimed and attached the midrange rings:

then i pulled cloth over the shape, applied resin, allowed it to cure and then reinforced it from the backside via resin/filler mixture:

then i forgot to snap the pictures as i once again cut open the mold i just made and attached and aimed the tweeter rings to the pillar, pulled cloth once again to form the secondary shape of the tweeter pod. but here is a picture of them when they had cured and reinforced once again from the backside:

the next step was basically applying filler and sanding smooth, which took quite some time, and once again, i apologize for not snapping a picture...:(

they then went to Finishline Interiors in Santa Clara, and a few days later, they came back looking like this :)

Next comes a series of pic that show the wiring bundle as it travels from the front of the car to the back. The customer also supplied us with two full boxes of dynamat to apply to all the surfaces below the window. Funny thing is one box had black dynamat and the other one silver, hence the mismatch :) Our man Jesse did most of the sound proofing on the floor and interior:

the GT-R is odd in that it has a very deep floor pan, but the actual "floor" that the carpet lays on is held up by a series of molded styrofoam pieces. here are the four foam pieces back in place before the carpet went back on:

if you noticed before, the metal rear deck had its speakers removed, and also covered with dynamic, Jesse then took the rear deck cover and covered the underside with focal BAM XXXL composite damper to further help eliminate rattles:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
then it came time to mount the stinger 40 amp power supply, which was the size best suited to be hidden behind the stock bose sub mounting trim panel. first i made a mdf board, then wrapped it in black vinyl:

then a piece of blackhole tile was placed under the mounting location to help isolate the board from any metal surfaces, while two rivet nuts was installed on the metal bracket infront:

then the board was bolted in place through those rivet nuts and secured:

then the power supply was secured and wired up:

the only thing remaining was to remove the oem usb mount and integrate the pioneer's usb cable into it, for an oem appearance and aftermarket integration:

so, moving onto the main portion of the build, which was the trunk. like I mentioned before, the goal was to be clean, retain some cargo space and fit all the gear in the trunk...in the end, the layout was pretty much dictate by the gear, as in this configuration was almost the only way all this gear was going to fit inside the trunk :) but basically a stealthy usable look was the goal here.

here is the normal view with everthing covered up, the floor has been raised by about 3.5", the front wall of the trunk came back by a similar amount, while two fiberglass sideboxes flank the sides:

pop off the four grilles and here is what you see. and i apologize for the vast array of pics, none of which is able to show off the entire system haha. the GTR has one of those odd trunks in that the opening is very small and high, while the trunk itself is tall and wide :)

on the floor, four sony Mobile ES amps power the front stage, two 260s are bridged on each midbass, while two 2100s power the midrange and tweeter. the reason why the covers are not utilized in the build ist hat they had seen better years and was quite scuffed up and the gold mobile es badge dented. a single mosconi zero 3 is at the front facing back and powers two illusion audio c12xls with a total 1800 plus watts :)

the main thing i wanted to accomplish was to hide the wires on the sonys and to create somewhat of a continuity in theme between the vastly different apperances of the sonys and the mosconi amps. So what i did was to create a trim panel, cutout around the sony amps to hide all the wiring, with a center window that had a piece of brushed aluminum trim that located a GT-R emblem, this same theme was recreated over the mosconi, except this time, the window frames the mosconi logo. these two trim panels were wrapped in white vinyl to mimic the black/white theme of the exterior:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
moving into the build pics. first the floor was prepped and four rivet nuts installed that will secure the main foundational floor panel:

then the entire floor was sound proofed with dynamat:

then the foundation board was bolted in place and the side carpet trim installed and wires lead into the trunk:

next, i fabricated a sturdy mounting support beam and secured it to the car via threaded inserts and bolts, both at the top and bottom, you can well shake the car with these :)

next two supports was secured in place that will secure the mosconi amp rack to the appropriate height:

with space at a premium, almost every inch of room had to be utlized, this is the mosconi amp rack board, along with a border frame that will secure onto it to frame the amp along the two sides of the amps will be the four distribution blocks that take in the dual 0 gauge and outputs 6 total 4 gauge wires, per side! :)

the walls and center part of the amp rack was carpted black first:

after all the dblocks were wired up, this entire contraption was fitted to the car and bolted in place via 6 bolts into threaded inserts located on the support beam. note the mosconi 6ot8v8 DSP with the optional AMAS Bluetooth streaming package installed, tucked under the amp rack. it was really the only free space left in the trunk :eek:

the mosconi zero 3 was then secured and wired up:

this is the main board and wall frame for the sony amps, with the holes pre drilled out, before and after carpet:

then the four sony amps were mounted and wired up:

and the two wall frames secured in place around the amps:

here are the two trim panels before and after white vinyl:

here is the gtr emblem being centrally located on the brushed aluminum trim by joey:

the two trim panels were then secured to the wall frames:

here is the front wall panel after carpeting, i forgot to take a before picture, but the edges were backfilled witth fill for a perfect fit to the stock carpeting:

and here are the floor top panels, also backfilled to match the outline of the trunk, before and after carpeting:

moving onto the subboxes, Jesse did the initial molds on the two sides, when they cured, i took them out and trimmed them down to the desired shape, i then attached two boards at the top that has been cut to mimic the outline of the trunk carpet top opening:

then, using craft sticks, i created a wall that followed the shape of the stock carpet along the top section of the enclosure:

and then backfilled the entire section with duraglass to created a matching shape:

after that cured and was sanded down, the two ring baffles (note fiberglass reinfocement on the ring walls) was aimed and attached:

then cloth was pulled, resin applied, allowed to cure, then the back was cut out of the enclosures and the two boxes reinforced from the inside and then jointed back together:

the box edges were then backfilled and blended to the car and sanded down:

and then joey jumped in and helped to carpet the enclosures (he also did most of the upholstery):

once the boxes were in the car, they were bolted in place with two bolts into rivet nuts each side, the interior received some dynamat, and the subs were then ready to go in. note the block of wood in the driver side box that helps reduce the total air volume so that each side is about 1 cubic foot net.

and finally, two shots of all the grilles after carpeting:

so thats it...at the start i was quite apprehensive about not being able to fit all the gear in a clean manner, and in the end, i think if any of the components were bigger by half an inch, something more drastic would be needed to fit everything and all the wiring...but it turned out pretty good :D

how it sound..well firstly, there is a LOT of bass, the two XLs really shake the car and buzz your hair and can extend down LOW without much effort. the GZ speaker is quite impressive. the midbass can extend down low very smoothly and effortlessly, while producing excellent impact. the tweeter was very very nice. it was very smooth on the rta right out of the box an provided a great deal of detail without being harsh. the midrange also did well fitting in between the two drivers. these sets are able to absorb a lot of power, dishout some SERIOUS output with very low distortion. imaging is quite good giving the relatively short amount of tuning time i had, center is well placed over the stock center speaker grille, about half a foot up the windshield. width is actually really good, comparably to lunchbox's car despite that car having sail panel tweeters. depth is decent as well, and i think with more playing time and tuning, this can do quite well :)

So thats it for this eposide, stay tuned for a flurry of logs soon!

Bing

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think you guys are now the unofficial kings of high-end GTR audio installs now! Fantastic job!!! I am still blown away everyday by how great my system sounds and I know your customer feels the same!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Awesome build as usual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Bing, Joey and Jesse! 3 The Hard Way...Half Man - Half Amazin' and all that...Stellar Work!

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
hmmm, vinyl looks fine to me. lol
Yeah, looked good when it left. I was the one who wrapped those. If anyone has tried to strip down anything I upholster they would see the level of adhesion I normally get from the glue. I do multiple thin layers and let each layer dry. Those corners were not much of a stretch, so I am not sure what happened. My guess is that there was an issue with the allsport and the backing separated from the vinyl. We use the best glue money can buy, and it was a can we had used, so I don't see the glue being the problem. It is disappointing to learn there was an issue with something I did...

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I wish the pictures of the acrylic trim around the radio showed up better. I had chamfered a slight 45 on the bottom to correspond with the fold down face. I also added to small cutouts on top and bottom of the knob to give it more room. (don't tell JJ that this plate is fancier than his!! )

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Incredible job on this one guys. I am shocked at how the trunk turned out especially after seeing it stripped down with only one of those Sony amps sitting on the floor of the trunk. I think I told Joey or Bing (can't remember who), 'You have to put 4 of those things back there and a Zero and 2 c12xl?!?!'. lol Great job guys. I just wish I could of heard it in person. Hopefully, I will be able to convince Scot to give me a listen when we make our return visit to so. cal (hopefully last week of Jan. 2015).;)

Bing, I would love your impression of that 3 inch midrange as compared to other 3s you have experience with. ie. Focal w3, AP drivers, etc. How flat of a response did you get before eq was applied? Also, did you champher the backside of the mounting baffle for it?

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Incredible job on this one guys. I am shocked at how the trunk turned out especially after seeing it stripped down with only one of those Sony amps sitting on the floor of the trunk. I think I told Joey or Bing (can't remember who), 'You have to put 4 of those things back there and a Zero and 2 c12xl?!?!'. lol Great job guys. I just wish I could of heard it in person. Hopefully, I will be able to convince Scot to give me a listen when we make our return visit to so. cal (hopefully last week of Jan. 2015).;)

Bing, I would love your impression of that 3 inch midrange as compared to other 3s you have experience with. ie. Focal w3, AP drivers, etc. How flat of a response did you get before eq was applied? Also, did you champher the backside of the mounting baffle for it?
by rule i dont generally pass out any solid comparison opinion after just one listening and install, besides there are those who have far better ears than me that can truly give an accurate impression :)

maybe we will get to play with another set sometime in the future :)

b

·
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
874 Posts
So. Much. Awesomeness.

The amp racks, the OEM integration, the creative sub enclosure build, tweaking and hiding all the extra electronics. It's like magic.
I wish I had stopped by in time to hear it.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
one thing i really noticed this time around and i sorta forgot, thank goodness most amp manufacturers moved to set screw boxed terminals, having to do spades on all these babies REALLY took up a lot more room than usual :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Great job guys
Build looks amazing as always!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts