DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i got my stereo all together the other day, and as soon as i put the Dayton DSP into the mix i started getting tons of noise whenever it isn’t hooked up to Bluetooth and playing music.

It sounds like a ground loop whine/hiss and goes with engine RPM, but the second i start a song it’s totally gone, even if i turn the volume down all the way. If it were a ground loop i would think i could still hear it with the music turned down?

The setup is an alpine headunit, 4ch RCAs to the DSP, 4ch RCA from there to the speaker amp, & 2ch to the sub amp. Both amps grounded at the same point, with the little ground wire from the DSP stuck into the sub amp.

Anybody have any ideas where to start?Cuz this shits ANNOYING. Thanks y’all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is probably from the rca's going in to the dsp. Unplug them. Plug a spare rca in to the dsp, leave the other end disconnected. Is the noise gone? If so, get better cables and/or locate them away from power wires.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yep.This is a known issue with this DSP. But don't feel too bad, I have the exact same one sitting on my dresser right now.
Anyway, I've read that this is mostly an issue if your HU sends it 5 volts or more. Do you know how many volts your HU is making ?
Mine only makes 4 volts, so I'm hoping I'll be okay, but of course I won't know for sure until I install it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah damn, pretty sure my preamp is only 2 volts, i have the old alpine cde143. I’ll try the RCA trick and see if that does it, it’s all sky high wire but the rca does sit next to the power wire for a few inches or so

·
Registered
742 Posts
IDK. Mine makes zero noise, no matter what. I have stock head with front full range high level speaker wires going into it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ah damn, pretty sure my preamp is only 2 volts, i have the old alpine cde143. I’ll try the RCA trick and see if that does it, it’s all sky high wire but the rca does sit next to the power wire for a few inches or so
How about grounding the DSP to the same point as the amps?

·
Registered
23 Posts
nope....switched to zapco dsp and all noise is gone, everything remained exactly the same grounds, rca's, etc. ect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright turns out it was my RCAs running from the head unit to the DSP, which is weird because they’re quality cables and well shielded from power cables. Anyways, I’m using the dsp in Bluetooth mode only anyways so i just unplugged the input RCAs and we’re back in business

1 - 10 of 10 Posts