DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm considering the following for a 2-way (6.5" and 1" - hoping for a direct/little mod fit in) front stage active setup for my Honda Accord:

1. Seas Lotus Reference (mid - RW165/1, tweet - RT27F)
2. Seas Excel (mid - w16nx-001-08, tweet - not sure, maybe t25cf-002)
3. Morel Supreme (mid - SCM 634 or SCW 636, tweet - ST 728)
4. Morel Elate 602

I do not have any facility to audition them.

I haven't set aside any amplifiers, yet. I'll do that once I finalize on the drivers, so how much ever power is required.. will be delivered.

The front doors are well deadened, inner and outer skin.

I'm really confused, I need to pull the trigger fast, and I could really use some help.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You have a lot of really good choices.. First off if you go with sea's use the lotus. I have them ,great speaker they like power at least 200wt. The morel like power to I have heard the elate not the supreme.. Elate sounded great too. The sea's is a deeper speaker so if mounting is a issue the morel might make sense. They are all great speakers what kind of amp/power will you be running? I would look at sensitivity if your going with lower power. I hear the morel virtus is a great set by morel too.. Also illusion carbon 6 ..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's good to know that the mids rated at nominal 100W RMS are being recommended to be powered with at least 200W RMS.

How much power are you sending to each of your mids and tweeters?

Also, why do you recommend Lotus Reference over Excels?

I'll be running Boston Acoustics GT A/B amps. Power is not really a concern. Virtus will be a step down. Also, the new illusion carbons are manufactured by Peerless I believe, so I'd rather go in for the raw drivers. But not something I'm considering right now. Scanspeak, Rainbow, AT, maybe, but nothing else.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've installed Seas, and Morels.

Both are great speakers, very detailed, not overly harsh out of the box.

The morels (at least in my car) seemed more warm than the seas I installed in my friends truck. The seas had more punch from the mids, were very detailed, but never seemed to fatige my earls like the focals they replaced.

I perfer the Morels (elate mid and mid bass, supremo tweet)

But I was still very impressed with the seas.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was doing 110 to the lotus mid and some told me try more power they will come to life more . I put 240 to the mids and wow big difference. I have since switch to illusion carbon 6 and they are both great the carbon saves me mount room because its shallower. I can not say one is better then the other but I know the lotus is better suited for the car door over the excel. My tweeters get about 120 each. Lotus were great carbon are great and a little more lively over the lotus. The illusions are not made by peerless... scans are really great too, the are deep mount also and very detailed. I would not drive yourself nuts, there are so many speakers out there. If you can not listen to them look at what ppl are doing in high end cars and what they say about that product.. For example Bing and Joey from simplicity in sound . They use morel, seas, scan speak, peerless,and illusion and all of there stuff is top notch. They have done more cars than we can ever listen too and the product reviews are great. I think you need to pick a price point and go from there. I don't know if it is a show car or daily driver, but amps, processing and car environment all affect what your sound will be like. One speaker in one car may sound total different in another..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was doing 110 to the lotus mid and some told me try more power they will come to life more . I put 240 to the mids and wow big difference. I have since switch to illusion carbon 6 and they are both great the carbon saves me mount room because its shallower. I can not say one is better then the other but I know the lotus is better suited for the car door over the excel. My tweeters get about 120 each. Lotus were great carbon are great and a little more lively over the lotus. The illusions are not made by peerless... scans are really great too, the are deep mount also and very detailed. I would not drive yourself nuts, there are so many speakers out there. If you can not listen to them look at what ppl are doing in high end cars and what they say about that product.. For example Bing and Joey from simplicity in sound . They use morel, seas, scan speak, peerless,and illusion and all of there stuff is top notch. They have done more cars than we can ever listen too and the product reviews are great. I think you need to pick a price point and go from there. I don't know if it is a show car or daily driver, but amps, processing and car environment all affect what your sound will be like. One speaker in one car may sound total different in another..
It's great to hear they're comfortably taking in more power, and sounding good at that.

I'm down to choosing between the Lotus Ref mid+tweet or the elate 602.

Also, will the resonant frequency matter in the front door install? RW165/1 has an fs of 64hz which is pretty high, and the Elate MW6 has an fs of 43hz.

Or my guess is that it shouldn't be too much of a concern since the subwoofer will be picking up most of the sub 100hz frequencies.

But still, which would be a better performer - any inputs are welcome.

Also, I'm planning to go in for the same brand for the sub, depending on what i choose for fronts. The Seas Lotus SW300/1 12" subwoofer with Seas fronts, or the Morel Ultimo SC 12 with the Morel fronts.

Any inputs individually on these subs though?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Active or passive on front stage? Both subs are great, Morel wants nothing less than 600watts and that will just feed it 800 will make it happy. The seas 350 your done. Morel you will say do I have a sub sometimes very smooth the seas you may notice a bit more. Both small enclosures I would cross your sub at 60-70 to start 12db at if you cross to high you will get boomy . Let the mid do some work both of mids are built like mini subs start at like 2500 low pass on the mid at 12db.. another great sub you can pair with either is scan speak discovery..go to member reviews and look for the scanspeak review from avanti1960 really good read I have the 10ich version great sub in .80cub. for the money of the morel the illusion carbon 12 is supposed to be great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts