DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loud pop coming from all 4 speakers whenever I turn on my radio. I thought it was a bad RCA or something but I switched those out today for monster cables and it is still doing it. I installed the h/u first and there was no pop when I was running the speakers off deck power. Then I installed the amp and connected new speakers to that. Other than a little alternator whine that was fixed by the monster cables the amp and speakers are running fine except for the pop. What would I be checking for? Also, it doesnt do it with the RCAs disconnected.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
is the HU turning on the amplifiers with the remote wire or do you have the amplifier turn-on lead connected to an ACC wire?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
it would seem that either your HU doesnt delay the remote wire or your amplifiers dont have a soft start.

either way, you can add more delay to turn and turn off by adding something like a PAC tr7.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only coming from the amp hooked to my door speakers. It doesnt come from my sub amp at all. Ones a RF amp and the door speaker amp is a hifonics and the h/u is an Alpine 123. Does that mean the RF has a soft start? Would wiring the remote start to another point that comes on when I start the car help? What idoes the PAC tr7 do? It looks like it has a dozen functions. How would that help?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
yes, RF amps certainly do have a soft start. no offence, but hifonics are less than good :\

if the pop doesnt occur when you pull the rcas off, then a turn on delay will solve it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I paid less than $100 for it and it sound good when its playing. I dont take offense to such things anyways. Would swapping the remote wire to a different point not on the h/u help or no? BTW thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
no, that would not help. the HU actually creates the pop when it turns on. the RF amp starts 2-3 sec after turn on, so that one doesnt pop. delaying the turnon for the hifonics amp is the only solution.

either a switch in the dash to turn it on after you turn on the HU, or a delay circuit like the TR7.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well, before you go buying more stuff, make sure the HU and both amps have a good ground. Most stock grounds for the HU are pretty crappy, you may want to try a dedicated ground on the HU first. I ran a piece of 10awg ground wire directly from the HU to a nice spot on the frame, that seemed to clear up a few issues.

A difference in ground resistance between any component can cause the issues you're having, including alt. whine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran the remote wire through a fog light switch that wasnt being used. Its a little bit of an ass pain to turn it on seperatly but the pop doesnt happen if I turn the amps on after the h/u. I will probably but the PAC tr7 in the future but for now the pop is gone and Im happy. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
At least that confirms the problem. The tr7 should fix it

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts