DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas.

Right now I am running Vifa XT25 and HAT L6 for my front stage with a pair of W6's. The front is being powered by a pair of SS Class A 6.0. in a Tahoe

My problem is it just isnt loud enough for me when I am in the mood to really crank some Pantera or whatever.

I have been debating putting just the mids from a set of Boston Pro 6.5 in the rear doors and crossing them bandpass from 3500 to 100. But I really don't want to destroy my sound stage.

Do I have any more options?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
more power or more speakers or both.

add second set of L6 in the doors or replace them with an 8". the tweeter should be able to keep up.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more power or more speakers or both.

add second set of L6 in the doors or replace them with an 8". the tweeter should be able to keep up.
Man a second set of L6's in the door would be sweet. Haha and I thought I was almost done with my build. Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
From what I understand, a second set of 6's is a lot easier said than done.
If they are playing any of the same frequency range, comb filtering and phase issues will be significant unless you can make them both EXACTLY equidistant on each side, of which I am seriously doubtful. You might be able to do it close enough with TA, but it would only sound good for one listener.

You'd be better taking the more power or more-sensitive driver route in my opinion. If you are looking for a bigger driver, 8" is hard to do 2 way due to beaming around 1.5khz, unless you can get reasonably on axis. Scan Illuminator 7" is awesome, but isn't any more sensitive, so you'd still need more power.

It seems too obvious to ask, but have you tried turning your gains up? (i.e. are certain that you already close to clipping point?)

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would say your lacking power or your setup needs some work.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm close to what you have..in a sense of w6's and a component setup. It will get loud enough to hurt. I'd look into more power and everything else mentioned. That stuff should be plenty loud

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm close to what you have..in a sense of w6's and a component setup. It will get loud enough to hurt. I'd look into more power and everything else mentioned. That stuff should be plenty loud
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I am used to being in a small car/truck and now Im rocking a Tahoe. And I do have some room on my amp pushing the L6's but I am scared I will fry the 6.0 due to its age.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
From what I understand, a second set of 6's is a lot easier said than done.
If they are playing any of the same frequency range, comb filtering and phase issues will be significant unless you can make them both EXACTLY equidistant on each side, of which I am seriously doubtful. You might be able to do it close enough with TA, but it would only sound good for one listener.

You'd be better taking the more power or more-sensitive driver route in my opinion. If you are looking for a bigger driver, 8" is hard to do 2 way due to beaming around 1.5khz, unless you can get reasonably on axis. Scan Illuminator 7" is awesome, but isn't any more sensitive, so you'd still need more power.

It seems too obvious to ask, but have you tried turning your gains up? (i.e. are certain that you already close to clipping point?)
we are not talking about putting them 3 feet apart. put em right next to each other, the .01mS difference will not be audible.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Perhaps you could try checking the gains on your amp? Try raising it a bit? :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
it has a power handling rating of 100watts RMS. unless they are lying, that is ALOT of tweeter.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You want to get loud...look into the Massive CT2 tweeter. Seriously....that tweeter was taking a BEATING from me. My MB quart POS amp popped 1 tweeter due to bad channel so I was playing with the other one. It could take a ton of power and never got extremely harsh or had audible break up. Those things got stupid loud. Not sure what their efficiency was but they can be had for cheap. Hell.....give me your address and I'll mail you this one I have lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts