DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
I tested today and with my music I could not tell a difference in volume or frequency response at all when I was at 34/40 (my defined amp gain max) on the Kenwood with loudness set to low. It gave a very discernible difference at 20 and below and did sound better. Loudness on high was too much and I didn't like it. I'll probably leave it on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
On my alpine headunit there is a setting called 'subwoofer system' that does this but only with the subwoofer. It boosts it at lower volumes, but tapers off to no boost at middle volume levels. It is really helpful when you want to hear the sub some but have to listen at lower volumes for whatever odd reason :)

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
On my alpine headunit there is a setting called 'subwoofer system' that does this but only with the subwoofer. It boosts it at lower volumes, but tapers off to no boost at middle volume levels. It is really helpful when you want to hear the sub some but have to listen at lower volumes for whatever odd reason :)
This sounds more like a Drive EQ, or something similar. Loudness, at least the way Kenwood and Pioneer use it, will also boost high frequencies, because high frequencies are also affected by the Fletcher Munson curve. Just boosting the subwoofer is not doing the same thing, although it might still be more enjoyable at low volume levels than not using the feature at all. You can see from the graphs I posted just how many frequencies are affected by the Loudness setting, just boosting subwoofers would not have the same affect.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts