DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get the point about the loudness wars. but as soon as i pop in a cd that isn't recorded loudly... i have to turn the volume up and get a ton of hiss in the process. loudly recorded music sounds nice since i don't have to turn it up much.

given that I'm using generic cheap rca cables and will change this soon... would like to know what else i could improve on to get "audiophile" music sound better at louder volumes with minimal hiss.

still using the stock head unit which i can't replace. been playing with my amp gains as well... ended up with a middle ground on my setting. if i turn down the amp gain some more... music recorded with low levels don't get to decent levels without more hiss. if i turn it up some more... i get hiss on everything.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hiss will always be there and can't be fixed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiss will always be there and can't be fixed.
some hiss yes. but a lot of hiss when nothing is playing? theres something wrong with that for sure.

i have a pretty decent headphone setup (shure srh440s and fiio e11 headphone amplifier)... and with the same material... i love it on my headphones. but to get loud enough its hissing like crazy in my car.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What amps are you using?
ford fiesta sport hatchback. stock HU. LOC to cheap RCAs.

focal fpp 4100 amp (90x4, 240 bridged)
focal v30 front stage
focal 21v2 8" sub... sealed box within specs.

should be a decent enough amp with low noise floor.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
ford fiesta sport hatchback. stock HU. LOC to cheap RCAs.

focal fpp 4100 amp (90x4, 240 bridged)
focal v30 front stage
focal 21v2 8" sub... sealed box within specs.

should be a decent enough amp with low noise floor.
The amp should be fine in this case, sounds like the weak link is the HU.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
given that I'm using generic cheap rca cables and will change this soon
I'm not sure if I'm doing this to prove a point, or just because I can, but my system has old school Phoenix Gold RCAs that aren't even twisted pair. If I scraped the PG logos off the ends you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from generic RCAs. I second the opinion that the hiss you're hearing is from your head unit.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure if I'm doing this to prove a point, or just because I can, but my system has old school Phoenix Gold RCAs that aren't even twisted pair. If I scraped the PG logos off the ends you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from generic RCAs. I second the opinion that the hiss you're hearing is from your head unit.
my RCAs aren't twisted also so I'm planning to get a twisted set. well... there are limitations as i cannot change my HU. too much integration.

LOCs are scosche i believe. any cleaner alternative to the LOCs to get me RCA outs? are the JL cleansweeps worth it? my HU seems to output music flat. so no problems there. just a problem with the hiss.

i know it can't be taken out completely given my stock HU and given how it really is... but i heard a different car.. same as mine... less hissing. all DLS setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts