DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have days where they just feel like they have lousy aural genetics? I get tested annually at work for hearing loss and they always say I score above average. I've always seemed to have this problem, though. I have a hard time distinguishing small changes.
I just tried to set the phase of my midbasses by ear and I swear, I can't do it. I mean, I can easily tell when they are out of phase with respect to each other. But when I flip them both, it sounds almost identical.

Argh!!! Where is my ECM8000 and MicMate?!

· Registered
10,773 Posts
Haha, I feel the same way sometimes. I sit in the car and flip things back and forth, back and forth, forth and back, and all over again. I can hear that it sounds different, but I can't figure out what the difference is. I've convinced myself that it's all about training your ears. I have slightly above average hearing too, but sometimes when tuning my stereo I feel like I can't hear ****, it can be frustrating.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Well you can easily test above average on hearing tests and still feel that way...for one if you flip both drivers the same way...they'll still be in phase to each other, so you wouldn't hear any difference between the two relative to each other;) But besides that as far as being able to hear differences but not being able to identify them...it indeed is all about training your ears...Its like seeing two things for the first time and they are different, but until someone tells you what it is you are looking at and identifies the objects you would be able to see that somethings changed but how would you say what it was without a name or something along those lines...its tough to name something that has changed audibly if you can hear it but you don't know what it is or what it is called....lousy explanantion..but it'll work on the fly here at work. You can have great hearing as far as freq. response etc...but just not have trained ears to tell you what in the world it is that you are hearing. I had to spend hours and a few years engineering monitors on concerts to train my ears to tell me at what freq. feedback was occuring so I could just grab the EQ on the right freq and kill it without pulling down every fader until I got it....Training...Lots of training.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
It's all about training your brain all the technical lingo of what you're hearing.

Is it a frequency dropout at the mid/tweeter filter point?

Is it cancellation due to an interior anamoly?

It's all explained when you know the terminology.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
If I'm having problems putting my finger on something...... someone like Andy Wehmeyer can explain it with ease.

· Registered
2,163 Posts
I got the bad genetic part. I have a serious issue with cysts growing in/around my ears, even in my ear canals.

In fact, right now, my right ear is almost closed off, there is just a pinhole opening. Hence why I do most all technical listening with my laptop as well. It is not a daily occurence, but about once a year, I go in to have them cut out. Don't even novaciane me for it. Just take the knife right to them. :(

But, I can notice changes in my hearing, and at those times is when I stop doing subjective comparisons and leave it all up to what I see on the screen.

· Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose I would expect for things to improve with more critical listening, but I've been doing this for some time and I guess I'm just frustrated.

It does make sense that flipping both mids at the same time would still leave them in phase with respect to each other, but you'd think there would be an obvious frequency dropout at the crossover point with the tweeters. I'll play a familiar track with strong vocals and listen for a difference in that 2kHz range and yeah, I guess it sorta... kinda... sounds, different. But I usually just end up getting tired of flipping it back and forth and just leave it during a particular passage of song that I like and sounds good.

· Registered
26,540 Posts
Anyone else have days where they just feel like they have lousy aural genetics? I get tested annually at work for hearing loss and they always say I score above average. I've always seemed to have this problem, though. I have a hard time distinguishing small changes.
I just tried to set the phase of my midbasses by ear and I swear, I can't do it. I mean, I can easily tell when they are out of phase with respect to each other. But when I flip them both, it sounds almost identical.

Argh!!! Where is my ECM8000 and MicMate?!
Dude, you are training yourself in the worst of bad environments, don't get down on yourself. You have drivers pointed every which way with all sorts of things directing them in different directions. A car is a tough place to hone your skills ;)

You should have a box arriving very soon, got it out Wed morning prority mail, give you a reason to go out and play some more, I'm hoping you get it by the weekend or at least Sat :)

· Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude, you are training yourself in the worst of bad environments, don't get down on yourself. You have drivers pointed every which way with all sorts of things directing them in different directions. A car is a tough place to hone your skills ;)

You should have a box arriving very soon, got it out Wed morning prority mail, give you a reason to go out and play some more, I'm hoping you get it by the weekend or at least Sat :)
Thanks, man! I can't wait to exploit this systems potential already!

· Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Came home to a USPS box on the porch. Thanks!! +eleventy karma points!
Now I'm gonna start building those tweeter pods for the a-pillar and stop getting aggravated about listening for phase differences, haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.