DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I did a search on the topic and didn't turn anything up. I'm not asking about the difference between 2v and 4v output.

My head unit (stock) does not have any amplified outputs since the system came with a stock amplifier in the trunk. The amplifier sucks. I'd like to install a new, relatively inexpensive amplifier without much regard for elite sound quality.

I'm measuring line outputs from the head unit with a -10dB 400Hz test tone to be around 600-700mV RMS. This is at full volume, and at much below full volume the outputs hardly register on the digital multimeter. Also, at full volume I'm only measuring around 3.3V RMS at the speakers with the current amplifier and this seems kind of low to me.

The amplifier has a minimum input signal of 200mV (it is a Dual 4-Channel XPA4100). Does this mean that a head unit capable of supplying a 200mV signal MAXIMUM will get the full range of the amplifier? Or does this mean that at signal levels less than 200mV it won't work. I don't get 200mV at much less than 3/4 volume--- would all the lower levels be useless?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is something I can consider. I would like to mount the new amp where the current one is, and running more wiring or splicing into it somewhere else in the car would be a big pain.

Is pre-amp voltage rated in RMS at the maximum volume? Am I likely to get significantly less than the rated pre-amp voltage for mid-volume on any head unit?

Lastly, what does the minimum input signal spec mean on an amplifier?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts