DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a new-to-me JL Audio HD amp and it has an input voltage switch with options being "low input (200mV - 2V)" or "High Input (800mV - 8V)", and I know my Kenwood HU advertises that is has 5V outputs, so I would think that I should run the amp in High Input mode,.... but, In the user manual JL states that reguardless of what your HU claims you should use the Low input mode.... Can someone please explain which one I should use? Here is the exact text from the JL User Manual:

Input Voltage Switch

A wide range of signal input voltages can be accommodated by each of the HD900/5’s differential-balanced inputs (200mV – 8V RMS). This wide range is split up into two sub-ranges, accessible via the “Input Voltage” switch located next to the “Input Mode” switch under the “General Setup” heading.

-The “Low” position of the “Input Voltage”switch selects an input sensitivity range between 200mV and 2V for all the amplifier channels. This means that the “Input Sens.” rotary controls will operate within that voltage window. If you are using an aftermarket source unit, with preamp-level outputs, this is most likely the position that you will use (regardless of what voltage output capability is claimed by the source unit).

-The “High” position of the “Input Voltage”switch selects an input sensitivity range between 800mV and 8V. This is for use with speaker-level outputs from source units and small amplifiers found in many OEM (factory-installed) systems. To use speaker-level sources, splice the speaker output wires of the source unit or small amplifier onto a pair of RCA plugs for each input pair or use the JL Audio ECS Speaker Wire to RCA adaptor (XB-CLRAIC2-SW). It is not necessary (or advisable) to use “Line Output Converters” with your HD Amp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The “High” position of the “Input Voltage”switch selects an input sensitivity range between 800mV and 8V. This is for use with speaker-level outputs from source units and small amplifiers
Low Input Voltage=RCA
High Input Voltage=Speaker Level Input

1 - 4 of 4 Posts