DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current project is helping my father restore his 67 442 one element that I'm in charge of is stereo. Being that this is a real numbers matching 442 we dont want to modify the car to much, or put anything that stands out like a sore thumb. Anything in the doors is out. We are ok modifying the replacement interior panels so probably coaxials in the rear 1/4's (he likes rear fill) up front i think about the only place I can put speakers is in the kicks. But it has the vents which we want to retain so that doesn't leave much room thinking I will be limited to 4" maybe 5 1/4.
My current thought is coaxial in the front also to eliminate having to place tweets elsewhere.
My concern is in the past (stock door location) I have always disliked all low mounted speakers it seemed to drag the stage down. Will a slight up angle and being in the kicks help with this ? I am limited on the drivers side as the e brake swings past the planned speaker location.
My other thought is some dedicated mid bass's under the front seats to help out those small front speakers. I have been searching and it seems people are happy with there results.
My concern with this is I had been hoping to avoid a dsp in this build at least at first. I have one for my personal car but haven't had time to put the system in much less learn to tune it. I would be able to set crossovers on them just no t/a separate from the front speakers or eq.
Planned so far is 2 jl 10w6v2's 600/4 and 1200/1 hd amps will probably go with the same hu as his car to make things simple for him, a alpine w650. Would plan to run the rear coaxials off the deck which frees the 600/4 up to run front coaxials and mid bass. Am I onto something here or way off base? Any help greatly appreciated.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bag Bumper
Tire Grille Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
324 Posts
Your plan should work. Looks like that deck has a decent EQ and TA capability. You could use the high pass filter on the head unit to set your crossover point between the sub and front low level out. Then use the high pass and low pass on the amp to split the signal between the kicks and midbass.

Thanks to BMW there are several low profile 8 inch mid bass speakers available. Something like the GS42 in the kicks, with the GS8ND2 under the seats should work. Just set time alignment to the mids in the kicks, It won't be as spot on as a DSP, but should work good enough.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats pretty much exactly what I was thinking, right down to having looked at audio frogs website. Was also considering gs60's under seat as I don't need to get real low as I have the 10's in the trunk. I could totally see putting a dsp in the car later just don't have the time to set it up/learn at the moment and wanted to make sure i wasn't shooting myself in the foot in the mean time. Also open to other speaker suggestions, the current gear list may make my budget seem larger then it really is i'm just on Craigslist/ebay/offerup alot lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts