DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alpine 9887
Audiocontrol Overdrive (line driver)

Seems like my voltage is extremely low seeing that i only get a 2v reading at volume 23-35 (with the overdrive gains almost maxed out which on my system sounds like it's clipping to hell)
I normally set the audiocontrol to the lowest setting but at that level I get less than 2volts at vol 35/35 on the 9887.

(With gains set properly my normal listening level on the headunit is between 12-16 which means my headunit is putting out less than 1volt.
Is this normal when it's rated for 4volts and audiocontrol is rated @ 9volts)

Example Videos:
1)
2)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
not sure what your question is. what are the voltage levels supposed to be in the HU? what voltage is the linedriver capable of?

if you have it optomised and it sounds good, what does it matter if it is only 2v?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wondering if having such low voltage readings is normal.
so at normal listening volume It's expected that I get 1volt or less from my preouts?

Alpine preouts are 4volts
Audiocontrol goes up to 9volts

I've always felt like I was never getting full output from my amplifiers because of this issue.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I'm wondering if having such low voltage readings is normal.
so at normal listening volume It's expected that I get 1volt or less from my preouts?

Alpine preouts are 4volts
Audiocontrol goes up to 9volts

I've always felt like I was never getting full output from my amplifiers because of this issue.
then you have always felt incorrectly :p if you have 1v of preout on the HU and you set your amplifiers to 1v input. they will put out 100%. if you have 9v of preout and set the gain to 9v, then you get 100% output. gains are NOT volume knobs.

as for the real problem. take the line driver out of the equation and see what your HU output is when it is connected to an amplifier. for one thing, 4v is plenty ;) but if you insist on using the driver, you need to test it seperately to make sure it is functioning correctly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried to test the RCA voltage numerous times with a 60hz test tone. Even with full volume I can't get a reading..

I'm going to put the audiocontrol back in for time being and wait until I can get a second opinion.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've tried to test the RCA voltage numerous times with a 60hz test tone. Even with full volume I can't get a reading..

I'm going to put the audiocontrol back in for time being and wait until I can get a second opinion.
Are you set to AC volts?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
509 Posts
my 9887 has piss poor output on the sub channel.

Running a 1k Hz tone at full volume I got 4.3V on the front channels and 2.8V on the rears.

With a 50Hz tone on the sub outputs with the sub volume at 15, I got 1.2V

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
then you have always felt incorrectly :p if you have 1v of preout on the HU and you set your amplifiers to 1v input. they will put out 100%. if you have 9v of preout and set the gain to 9v, then you get 100% output. gains are NOT volume knobs.

as for the real problem. take the line driver out of the equation and see what your HU output is when it is connected to an amplifier. for one thing, 4v is plenty ;) but if you insist on using the driver, you need to test it seperately to make sure it is functioning correctly.
Assuming I was getting 4v but i'm not... hence my reason for making this thread. I was hoping to get input from people who might have seen this issue before.

I have tested it separately and it works 100% once installed it struggles.

my 9887 has piss poor output on the sub channel.

Running a 1k Hz tone at full volume I got 4.3V on the front channels and 2.8V on the rears.

With a 50Hz tone on the sub outputs with the sub volume at 15, I got 1.2V
Subwoofer channel is exactly my issue here. Maybe it's time to switch up head units... thanks for the info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts