DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently installed my 25nfa's... i was using dls ur1's prior to this.

after installing (7 days ago) - i've noticed the following things:

airy and detailed compared to the ur1
harsh compared to the ur1
more sibilant compared to the ur1

my xover pt is 4khz, 18db slope. if 90degrees is pointing to me, they're pointed to 22.5degrees.

any thoughts why the tweets sound sibilant and harsher than the ur1's?

how long is the break in period?

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,952 Posts
mojako said:
I've recently installed my 25nfa's... i was using dls ur1's prior to this.

after installing (7 days ago) - i've noticed the following things:

airy and detailed compared to the ur1
harsh compared to the ur1
more sibilant compared to the ur1

my xover pt is 4khz, 18db slope. if 90degrees is pointing to me, they're pointed to 22.5degrees.

any thoughts why the tweets sound sibilant and harsher than the ur1's?

how long is the break in period?

The UR1 is a very laid back smooth sounding tweeter, but natural, much like the dynaudio MD100. I do think it could use or create a little better space and use a little more simmer as they call it up top. I need cymbals to have a little more of the wood hitting metal sound to them. This is where metal domes excel to me. Know the harshness most people talk of can be control with tone controls on the head if you no EQ is in the system, but if you can an EQ play with the 3.5 - 10 khz range. More than likely bring the levels down in at a couple pionts with help. You will also notice more space in the music.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
havent heard the ur1 yet (will soon though)

but Ive owned two sets of those lpgs and have a set of the 26na on the way

and cant imagine for the life of me how they could ever be deemed harsh since they are silk?

how much power? as that tends to be a big issue with the lpgs (ie they dont like it )

I ran mine at 3000k @ 24db off 50w rms

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,952 Posts
newtitan said:
havent heard the ur1 yet (will soon though)

but Ive owned two sets of those lpgs and have a set of the 26na on the way

and cant imagine for the life of me how they could ever be deemed harsh since they are silk?

how much power? as that tends to be a big issue with the lpgs (ie they dont like it )

I ran mine at 3000k @ 24db off 50w rms
Yes, I agree. Power and crossover points/slopes. More crossover points/slopes, power can controlled (turn down the gains :) )

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,952 Posts
Oh and I thought he was talking about the metal domes ones. Man all the models for all these DIY drivers are driving me crazy, to much info to quick. Ok, 26nfa=silk and 26na=metal (sweet top end). The 26na are the ones I want to try.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
25nfa are the silk version

26na is the metal one

i have a pair of the silks at my house (just got em) to test out here soon

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I love my 26's, very very detailed and clean. I have no simblance (S sound) and domes are fired towards each other in a-pillars, slightly in towards windshiled. They stage very nicely IMO.

I don't have any experience with the 25 series so i'm not exactly sure the sound differences but i'd expect the 26 metal to be worse as far as simblance and harsher. I thikn you could be having sound midrange problems, as i know i was having some that i thought was the tweet, it was in the 2-3k region. Which seemed very loud and harsh to me, i toned it down and now i think its rather nice. So check out your midrange section and try to figure out some EQing in that range, i doubt its your tweets unless your having level matching problems as well.

I agree with the power thing though, i have my gains adjusted right (I beleive) and still to level match i have them at -7db on my HU to match with my CA18's.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the inputs guys :D
don't know if it's power.. i will try to lower my amps gains. I am powering them with a ppi a100 (25x2). I will try to EQ as well, as i have them setup flat.

As far as eq'ing, i only noticed the sibilance when i changed my tweets.. so im guessing it's the tweets. - they aren't too sibilant, they're just sibilant compared to my ur1's. Could it be because they aren't broken-in yet?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Are you still reflecting them towards the windshield?

·
Registered
34 Posts
mojako said:
Thanks for the inputs guys :D
don't know if it's power.. i will try to lower my amps gains. I am powering them with a ppi a100 (25x2).
Funny, I was just going to ask this.. hope you don't mind a minor thread, jack.

25x2 RMS @ 4 ohms sufficient for LPGs? I'll be using a Zapco Studio 50 with the same specs as Mojako's PPI.

It might be a breaking point between buying a new amp or LCYs!!!

TIA,
trike

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have the 25nfas in my truck... I have 2 in the kicks & 2 in the a-pillars attenuated via L-pads.... 3.6khz @ 18db. No sibilance what so ever, and Leo & I have been around enough DLS cars to tell you we like the LPG 25nfa better.

Hard to guess what is wrong in your setup... I would definitely start tuning with the gains on those tweets all the way down...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Why have you all chosen the 25 over the 26....the 26 seems just all around better to me than the silks....(i havn't heard the 25's yet) but the 26's are astonishing, slightly bright, and very very detailed, no simblance at all, and very nice offaxis. What does the 25 have that the 26 dosent?

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,952 Posts
demon2091tb said:
Why have you all chosen the 25 over the 26....the 26 seems just all around better to me than the silks....(i havn't heard the 25's yet) but the 26's are astonishing, slightly bright, and very very detailed, no simblance at all, and very nice offaxis. What does the 25 have that the 26 dosent?
I was thinking the same thing from what I've been reading about the 26na.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To tell you guys the truth, when i heard the 25nfas at first, they didn't sound like silk domes at all! cymbals and hi-hats sound more metal to me compared to the UR1s.

i followed you're advice guys and i lowered the gain of my amp.. after that and re-aiming them like below.. the sound is so much better now. no more sibilance- guess i had them too much on axis

invecs,
i have them pointed towards me now :D hehehehehhe

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
No tweeter should ever sound overly "harsh" when driven at low/normal levels and crossed over correctly. If it does, the problem most likely lies in the frequency response... which can be easily corrected with an eq like many have mentioned.

Alot of times people tend to blame the driver when it's really the car/install/tuning that gives a driver a certain sound.

Glad to see you managed to fix the problem! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts