DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, would like some opinions over here, i've decided to settle for a CA18RNX(due to availability problems as the CA18RNX is readily available locally at my place, and the G18RNX is not available) for my mid in my DIY 2-way component, which is going to use a AudioControl 2XS as the active crossover.

Somehow, i'm rather undecided on whether to use the Morel MT-2(which i readily own, which means i don't have to get a seperate pair of tweeters if i choosed this option) or LPG 25NFA as the matching tweeter for my setup. I know that the LPG 25NFA + SEAS CA18RNX is a very common setup over here, but for discussion wise, would the Morel MT-2 + SEAS CA18RNX be a good option as well?

I'll be using a Soundstream Rubicon Picasso Class A 4-channel amp (25Wrms a channel) to power this set of components.

Hope to hear opinions from u guys. :)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
MT-2 is a great tweeter if you already own it. It's a little "warmer" and relaxed sounding than the lpg 25nfa.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Is the MT-2 the same as the MDT-12 with a different flange? I was thinking of putting an MDT-12 in a lathe and milling the flange down to where it will fit my mount!

Chad

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
npdang, i've already owned the Morel MT-2 and was matching it with the CDT HD-6 mid-bass earlier on, but i was playing to sell the MT-2 and HD-6 but unfortunately(or is it fortunately?) only the HD-6 was sold. Hence, i still have in my hands, the Morel MT-2 tweeters.

So... i would just say the money and pair my MT-2 with the CA18RNX and it would work perfectly fine?

chad, i'm not too sure wif the MT-2 is the same as the MDT-12, sorry i can't help there, if i'm not mistaken, the MT-2 is the older line of drivers from Morel(before they split)

Any hinters of where to high-pass the tweeters? I'm running the AudioControl 2XS which is a 18dB/octave crossover, tweeters will be ran with highpass signals from it, and the CA18RNX would have to be bandpassed(with the lowpass of the bandpass being the same as the highpass for tweeters due to design issues and highpass for the bandpass being able to set waaaaay low down to 33Hz or less)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just another tweeter that i readily have would be the DynAudio MD100, would it also be of a good match with the SEAS CA18RNX? I do notice that the DynAudio drivers are pretty power hungry and am a bit skeptical about feeding it *only* 25W from the Picasso Class A.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
GRexer said:
I do notice that the DynAudio drivers are pretty power hungry and am a bit skeptical about feeding it *only* 25W from the Picasso Class A.
Oh yeah, the MD100 can take 150 watts and still even more. I did a test one time and gave each side of my 240gt set 550 watts via my DLS A3 amps. I was able to crank the volume on my ///Alpine HU to 29/35 before I had to get out of the truck. And even then, the drivers or tweeters never broke up or went into protect mode. so yeah, they love power...

But your talking about $200 for the MD100, so if you already have the Morel tweet, AT LEAST do some trials first, then you can always buy the Dyns or the LPGs later on if you are not happy with the initial results.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Isn't the DLA A3 a mono amp with only 20 to 200hz output?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
carter said:
Isn't the DLA A3 a mono amp with only 20 to 200hz output?
Thats the A6, which is basically the A3 in bridged mode... The A3 is a 2 channel with both LP and HP, plus subsonic filter capacity. When I did the test, I ran the A3s to each side still utilizing the Dyn passive Xover units.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is that if i get the MD100, won't i be underpowering the tweeters since i'm just feeding it *only* 25W from a Class A amp(claimed to be Class A by Soundstream)? I came up with the idea as there's a used MD100 on sale localled for about $100. But well, i have yet to receive my CA18RNX and moreover my car's doors would need a remoulding job to fit in the CA18RNX as there was no place meant to install speakers from the factory.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Yes you would be underpowering the Dyns with only 25 watts, whereas some of the other tweeters are much more efficient and would sound awesome with that same 25 watts going to them...

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
It's really personal preference, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the mt-2.

As for the Dyn md100, I'd say 25 watts continuous power is more than enough to overdrive the tweeter and reach extremely loud volume levels. I have never really liked this tweeter though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
well, I ran roughly 250 watts to my MD 100 this weekend...and they didn´t like that at all...
One of them said goodbye with a loud *plopp*....

When it comes too tweeters You need to listen to them yourself.
My ears can "say" one thing, while someone else ears "says" another thing...
It´s all up to Your personal liking...

The Dyn is a little bit "dampened" if You ask me, there is absolutely no "on" from them...or should I say that they are not "pushy/forward/playing ´on´ the listener".

They are the opposite to DLS among others....

Best Wishes
Rutger

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll just stick to the MT-2 then, was just wondering if it's considered as an option to use the MD100 instead :)

I'm already used the MT-2 before myself and i like the sound of it(powered by a Steg Qmos 75.2x), just wanted second opinions on how well they'll pair with the CA18RNX :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts