DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the LPGs would sound bad crossed at 2500hz?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Just to be helpful to the OP, what x-over slope is going unspoken here?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Those tweets are meant to be a part of 3-way set-up, and they will sound strained even at 5khz/24db.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to be helpful to the OP, what x-over slope is going unspoken here?
I want to use these tweets to replace the seas rt25f from the original seas lotus refs. One of the tweeters went out on me. I'm running them passive with the seas crossovers.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
definitely want to look elsewhere for 2500hz. I'm pretty sure i posted a tutorial on adding a felt pad on the polepiece of the lpg's which greatly improves it's performance below 5-6khz.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Those tweets are meant to be a part of 3-way set-up, and they will sound strained even at 5khz/24db.
I looked at those and looked at those and NEVER found ANYTHING from LPG/Eaton that recommended them be used in a 3-way.........

·
Registered
891 Posts
I want to use these tweets to replace the seas rt25f from the original seas lotus refs. One of the tweeters went out on me. I'm running them passive with the seas crossovers.
Why not use another pair of the Seas tweets? If it's a Seas passive set, then the x-over will be configured for that particular tweet and chances are very good that inserting the LPG's will not work properly.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not use another pair of the Seas tweets? If it's a Seas passive set, then the x-over will be configured for that particular tweet and chances are very good that inserting the LPG's will not work properly.
I wanted to use the seas aluminum tweeter but madisound is out of stock.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
LPG's are 8ohm and that can present another set of problems.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've run mine down to 3500hz on 24db/oct, but lower than that got ugly. Also depends on how hard you want to drive them.

Do Seas give the xover frequencies and slopes for their passive set? First time I've seen a manufacturer that open... Bravo to Seas if that's the case.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i have the seas rt25f and the factory crossover is 1700 hz for the passive xovers. i run them activly at about 2250hz, but the rt25f has a pretty low fs, i doubt they would work very good with the factory seas reference crossovers, if the lpg is more ment for the highs. the seas tweeter is actually one of the lowest dome tweeter i have seen.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I looked at those and looked at those and NEVER found ANYTHING from LPG/Eaton that recommended them be used in a 3-way.........

If you look at the specs and actually have personal experience with the set, you'd know what I mean. They sound like total crap under 5k even with 24db slope, that is what I meant, if you want to be picky. Even Seas Neo sounds strained lower than 3.5k/24 db, so if he wants to go low to 2.5k, then he may have to use something with FS of 900hz or lower. This is how I would do it, some people may possibly like the strained sound - not me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have the seas rt25f and the factory crossover is 1700 hz for the passive xovers. i run them activly at about 2250hz, but the rt25f has a pretty low fs, i doubt they would work very good with the factory seas reference crossovers, if the lpg is more ment for the highs. the seas tweeter is actually one of the lowest dome tweeter i have seen.
So what are my options on another tweeter to use passive with this set? Worst timing possible for this tweeter to go out on me.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
I'll tell you like I've told a dozen other people. Passive crossovers are designed for the drivers that are packaged together. Throwing a random tweeter into those passives isn't going to be good no matter how "nice" the tweeter is. Either find a direct replacement, or consider either going active or picking up a whole new component set.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
If you look at the specs and actually have personal experience with the set, you'd know what I mean.
I have and I have, I also currently own the seas Neo which is not in use.

I don't understand why you think you can't mate them with an appropriate 6-7" driver.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll tell you like I've told a dozen other people. Passive crossovers are designed for the drivers that are packaged together. Throwing a random tweeter into those passives isn't going to be good no matter how "nice" the tweeter is. Either find a direct replacement, or consider either going active or picking up a whole new component set.
I'm trying to keep my costs down at this time though.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I wanted to use the seas aluminum tweeter but madisound is out of stock.
www.meniscusaudio.com... much better than Madisound... they actually package their **** properly, ship your items on time, and respond to your emails :rolleyes:

...and I cant understand why you cant contribute to the thread in a positive way, you need a girlfriend, way too miserable. I am off this thread as I do not wish to argue.
Life must be hard for you :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.