DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what a good crossover frequency would be for these tweeters? Is 3.7khz good or is that too high. I wanted to use them on my MB Quart crossovers which crossover at that freq. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I use a 3.15k at 18-24db slope and they sound very nice. You could drop it to 2.5k with a steeper slope, but may get a bit of cone breakup the lower you go.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
atomicquad said:
I was wondering what a good crossover frequency would be for these tweeters? Is 3.7khz good or is that too high. I wanted to use them on my MB Quart crossovers which crossover at that freq. Any ideas?
what impedence are the mbq tweets... remember the lpg's are 8ohm (right?) so actual xover would be around 1.9khz if i'm not mistaken

·
Registered
217 Posts
6 ohms on some. you can go to the mbquart site and look it up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a look at my old system:
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/413747

Unfortunately I had to remove it do to complications from a bad tail light and water damage to the box. So I'm going to get it rebuilt in a bigger box. I was hitting 147db with 1100 watts in a box no bigger than 2 cubic feet. I plan on making the box around 6 cubic feet for my Atomic 18 and making it drop real low. I'll probably be hitting over 150db with this new box design.

Here's what I plan on doing. In my kick's I'll have a Focal Utopia 4w2 with LPG 26na tweet. In the doors a MB Quart 218.03cx component set and in the rear, a Seas Louts Reference set. I just sold my Eclipse 3620's and I plan on getting some more powerful Eclipse amps. I love them old school ones because they have the lowest THD for the money. I plan on getting an 85 x 4 amp and and a 130x2 amp. I'll put the 130x2 on the kicks and the 85x4 on the doors and rear. I'll then equalize it all out with 2 Eclipse 30bands.

How do you figure out the crossover point when you replace the MB Quart tweeter which is probably 4ohm with an 8ohm LPG?

What would you do? I really want to have a tweet in the kick with the Focal 4w2, how would you cross everything over properly? Can I buy a custom made passive crossover?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I dont have experience with building diy comps. I suggest an HU with crossovers or a stand alone active crossover like the beringer dcx. does can let you try any crossover point you want, and will likely cost as much as a passive crossover.

you can read a bit about passive design here....if you want to go that route...

http://sound.westhost.com/lr-passive.htm#intro....

from what I read on the sites, try different crossover points for the speakers. perhaps 80-600hz for the mid, 600-2500hz for the midrange, and rest for the tweeter.

also you said you have an MB quart comp set in the doors. I suggest removing the comp set from the door. use only the mid or a good mid, not the comp set. if you have the lotus set, I suggest using that up front by itself. if you want a 3 way set, put the lotus mids in the door, focal midrange and either the seas or lpg tweeter next to the focal. then use the mb quart comp set in the back.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Did i read your post right? You'd put an LPG/Focal/MBQ as your front stage and relegate the SEAS Lotus Reference to the rear? You're joking right :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I wanted to put the Seas in back is because I just bought new door panels for my Acura Integra and they have factory tweeter locations. I don't know what the factory hole cutout size is, so I was planning on just putting the MB Quart tweeter in the stock location and relegating the SEAS to the back. Is this wrong or would it sound better to have the Seas up front with the Focal and LPG tweet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
the seas lotus is a pretty nice tweeter. it can be crossed at 2khz. the lotus mid likely has midrange as good as the focal, till 2khz anyhow. putting the seas mid and tweeter upfront by themselves might sound best. no focal or lpg. although lotus mid, focal midrange, and lpg has its advantages, if the focal can sound as good as the lotus mid in the midrange frequencies.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would it be best then to run the Focal Utopia 4w2 in the kick by themselves on an active amplifier. Then put the Seas components in the doors and relegate the Quarts to the rear. I always thought that pairing a mid and a tweet in the kick was the best way to get full sound out of the kick. I had an MB Quart 4" down there with some Atomic components in the door and it sound sweet with all those tweeters.

·
Registered
217 Posts
if you run the lotus and focal actively, then it can work well, ie. even frequency reproduction. but I dont expect the focal active, lotus passive (stock passives) to work well. also the lotus mid has midrange (till 2khz) better than 90% of the speakers out their. maybe not the focal, but perhaps more so than the speakers you've heard before.

also from the graphs I've seen, till 2khz the sound from speakers in the doors can be pretty flat.ie. all sounds are evenly loud.

anyhow, perhaps you can try both ideas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts