DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to wash a pot for about a week, it had the lid on, and well..some gross stuff happened in there.

I wanted to kill all the mold before washing it so I filled it with water and put a splash of the undiluted small bottle of Lysol in it. My roommate says the pot is now unsafe to use because Lysol gets into the metal and will cause issues.

He read off the Lysol website that it can get into the pores of plates and such and cause all kinds of issues, but of course Lysol the company would say that.

Is this pot safe to use? I don't mind getting a new one cause this one was a cheap fix when I first moved in.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Just boil water in it for an hour with dishwasher fluid and then rinse. you`ll be fine and your roommate will stop eating your food, win win to me.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
is it non-stick?

if not, then you can dry heat the pot to 400 degrees in the oven (or on the stove) after thoroughly cleaning the pot. Give it about 15 minutes or so and let cool on it's own.

don't worry about Lysol in your food, man.

it's so extremely small an amount that possibly could get trapped by pores, the residue on your hands from washing them will have more Lysol involvement.

also, if it is non-stick, don't scrape it or scrub it with anything rough. Pour out the crap with Lysol, rinse well, add detergent, wash normally, rinse then heat it up. All non-stick is supposed to handle 350 degrees, that's enough on 15 minutes to sterilize the pan from fungal or bacterial activity.

I go a little higher if it's ceramic or plain aluminum, or iron, or copper with tin/nickel lining.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
Victor is right.
Nothing can survive a boiling pot.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
not really, steam is needed to kill some stuff.

and mad cow prions can survive steam, they are pretty wicked.

I think getting the pot clean then heating it dry to over 300 degrees is better than just boiling water in it.

to sterilize 'stuff' you really need to steam, as it allows higher than 212 degree temps where boiling does not.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
not really, steam is needed to kill some stuff.

and mad cow prions can survive steam, they are pretty wicked.

I think getting the pot clean then heating it dry to over 300 degrees is better than just boiling water in it.

to sterilize 'stuff' you really need to steam, as it allows higher than 212 degree temps where boiling does not.
Fine.
Then stick it in an oven at 450 as long as the handle can survive it.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a dish washer, but I do have a nice scrubbing sponge and really hot water, I like the boiling idea though.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
See those air bubbles when water boils?
when it bubbles those air pockets filled with steam it will clean pretty much anything.
You forgot to tell us what coating it has if any.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Fill pot with water and some white wine vinegar. Boil for 20 minutes.

The vinegar will descale the pot.

This works very well for clearing hard water stains from coffee pots, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
Scrub with lemon & lots of salt then let sit in vinegar. Then wash with regular soap. The lemon & salt scrub works to get rust off cast iron too. Never use Lysol or other industrial cleaners on things you eat on.

·
Registered
489 Posts
When I use to work emergency restoration and we did mold jobs we used bleach. Best thing you can do is clean with bleach and boil water in it. If is not coming off you would have to clean with steel wool which could ruin the finish, but I can not imagine boiling water and cleaning with bleach coming up short.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Id
I forgot to wash a pot for about a week, it had the lid on, and well..some gross stuff happened in there.

I wanted to kill all the mold before washing it so I filled it with water and put a splash of the undiluted small bottle of Lysol in it. My roommate says the pot is now unsafe to use because Lysol gets into the metal and will cause issues.

He read off the Lysol website that it can get into the pores of plates and such and cause all kinds of issues, but of course Lysol the company would say that.

Is this pot safe to use? I don't mind getting a new one cause this one was a cheap fix when I first moved in.
Id personally be more concerned about the air we breathe and food we consume. Talk about toxicity causing systemic dysregulation. Lol

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Id

Id personally be more concerned about the air we breathe and food we consume. Talk about toxicity causing systemic dysregulation. Lol
20- mule team borax works, and it is mined close by from memory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
since it's a cooking pot, you should not use Lysol What you can do is wash the pot thoroughly with some vinegar and lemon juice, scrub this mixture throughout the walls of the pot, rinse, drain water and wipe with a cotton towel to dry it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts