DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site seems really kick ass.

I've been a long-time member over at the CAF, and now I'm looking into doing some DIY components due to my misplacement of my Koda set.

I looked on Madisound and they have ribbon tweeters by Fountek, which were mentioned in the How-To article as being cheaper, but more expensive to fix than the Aurum ribbons, which I can't find for sale ANYWHERE.

I'm looking at getting a component setup, and was wondering if anyone has used Madisound's Leap crossover design before, and what their experiences with it were. Also, does anyone know of any good mids that would go with the Fountek ribbons? The prototype looks kick-ass, but it also isn't going into production for a while...

Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
you can get AC ribbons at www.e-speakers.com LCY ribbons would be another option. Contact npdang, I know he carries LCY's and might be able to get fountek and AC's as well.

as for mids, check out the Seas ca18rnx. I have not heard a set myself but there are quite a few people here that rave about them. at $53ea their price/performance ratio cant be beat. npdang also carries those drivers.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i've used leap twice....

personally i'd rather have wiggins design my crossovers :) does a kickass job IMO...it's expensive....but worth it...

·
Registered
212 Posts
ive bought crossovers by madisound before. they did a good job and were relativly cheap.

the only thing is i bought them when i was unsure of where to cross and why so I just told them to decide for me (2 years ago). so who knows if they are really that good at using leap. but my guess is they know what they are doing.

o and as for another good place to find other brands like lcy and the like... www.solen.ca

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
First, would need to define what you seek to achieve from the crossover.

If you're only looking for a highpass to protect your tweeter, and a lowpass filter to choke out some cone breakup then a Madisound design would not be a bad choice.

However, if you are looking for the crossover to provide a smooth transition between drivers and iron out any issues with the driver mounted in the car... then the only choice would be to have the driver measurements taken in your car before designing the crossover... which can't be done by Madisound in most cases.

Best thing Imho, is save that money and go active with an eq. Spend some time tuning by ear. The results will be far more rewarding than to use a crossover that really doesn't provide you with a complete solution.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And npdang swoops in for the win.

Thanks man, I think that will ultimately be the best choice for me, it just means I have to spend a little bit more money on a nice external crossover, because I don't think the built in ones on my Tsunami amps will do the trick by themselves.

I'm also thinking of glassing pods on my dash for some ribbon tweeters, namely the Fountek GS 3's :-D

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Hi Dave. Check out the for sale forum there is a pair of AC g2si ribbons for only $100/pr! They compare very well, if not better than the Fountek's due to the aluminum chassis rather than plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts