DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm still trying to figure out what i should do about my a-pillar plastic panels, i've yet to talk to anyone from Scion, I havn't had the time to Call or even visit them as i work during there buisness hrs and i get home late at night. But if i do decide to just make some copies of the existing Panels how would i accurately get a negative mold of the panels both front and back, so that it would be identical to the origional panels in everyway, so that i could modify them easily to suit my tweeter aiming needs. And be able to mount them the way that he origional panels did, this is only being considered because i am thinking that the panels could possibly be much more than i expect price wise. I'm not trying to pay more than $50 or so for a pair. And i still can't find any used panels either. Suggestions on how to properly do this, with which materials as well.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
YOu can make molds using plastics as well, but thats expensive. I think that most of todays cars use those plastic clips to mount the Apillars, so reproducing those will be a *****. The actual panel itself can be done in fglass no problem. If you want to mount your tweets there, first use some double sided tape and use this to move the tweet around until you find a good spot. Then mount it permanenlty. If you mess up, its cheaper to use ABS plastic to fill the hole, then vinyl the entire panel.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As it looks right now i'm going to end up using the origional panel that i have, as i've yet to even find a replacement for the panels, and the ones from scion are really expensive most likely, I will get replacement when i need them. So i'll probobly start cutting on them in the next week or so. The problem with my tweets is that the terminals stick straight out of the back so double sided tape is a no-go, as the flat surface on the back is interferred by the terminals. What way could i go about cutting into the panel without messing up the fabric on the pillar panel, its a white fabric. Should i just put some painters tape over it then cut into it with a dremel? Also the flange on the sides of my tweeter are almost non existant, the LPG26, so what way would be the best way to mount them flush, also how can i make sure that the tweet is in the exact place that it needs to be.....this will be a one shot deal, no messups.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
What you can do is get some PVC pipe the same mounting diameter as your tweets. Use this to either tape or velcro in different locations, since you dont want to make fawk-ups. Once you find the location you are certain of, then do the cutting. you can make a small mounting baffle out of mdf to mount the tweets in the pillars. Oh and a Dremel would make a nice cut, or a hole saw too.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am going to be experimenting with new mounting locations soon, but i'm thinking with the stock HU EQ settings that it will throw off my overall imaging so i'm not exactly sure if i'm going to have the same type sound when i get my new HU, when ever that may be. I'm not sure how much its going to change my imaging though, as the channel seperation and different EQ settings for each setting on the stock HU make the sound change drastically, as far as imaging and depth and whatnot go for the overall car sound.

Thats what i'm having a slight problem with as of now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.