DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 869 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
You can use the twisted blue and white pairs together (to make four) and use the shield as a ground, or the blue and white twisted pairs separately for hot and ground (two each). I chose the latter method for my home stereo interconnects and floated the shield by connecting it only to the source.

Good job! Very acceptable for unbalanced connections!

Chad

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So this would be an acceptable cable? I was thinking of getting the star quad because then I could keep left and right together but I think I just rather run them separately.
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=L-2T2S+BK&off=33&sort=prod

Edit: Also, for whoever was looking for the cheap RCA ends. Markertek has the same Neutrik ones as PE, except cheaper. (http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=NYS352&off=16&sort=prod)
I am sure those would work fine but they are 16ga and a bit over kill. You also have to order it 50ft at a time. If you do order from Markertek make sure you order everything you need because they get you a bit for shipping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you live in a major city you will probably find the cable at most electronics supply outlets. Not Radio Shack though. I thinks it comes in several colours but you'll likely only find black. If you're running parallel cables you can use a wire loom or tech flex with ties.

Excellent explanation on "unbalanced connections" and I agree with your RX regarding auto vs. stage/home needs. Belden also makes a very high-end mic cable but I don't know what it's called. I encourage you to avoid anything but high-end cable because if you can hear a difference during recording (and often on stage) you'll hear a difference on playback....but ONLY on a high-end system. Like a home system, you can easily undermine the quality of your components with budget cable just as easily as spending too much on cables for a mediocre system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did I say something wrong? If it was my reference to RS it was not intended to criticize their products. Only that they don't carry the cable. Maybe I'm the one who's unbalanced and should review the 'rules.'

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Many (most) here agree that a cable must have the physical attributes to make it noise free (free from microphonics in high impedance situations) But saying cable A of decent quality sounds different than cable B of higher price can cause an uproar at times :D

I think we can all agree that not many of us visit radio shack :)

Chad

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Would Home Depot/Lowes carry cable like that? What is the cable considered anyway? Audio cable?

Edit: Did anyone also realize that Chuck Norris does their live chat support?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had feeling my statement might stir the pot, being well aware of the discussion around cable quality. On the other hand, if you've ever used a studio microphone - not a stage model - and compared cables while recording digitally you will likely hear the difference. In other words, your cables, including those for the speakers, should match the quality of your components while you keep a skeptical eye out for manufacturer's hype. It seems to me that's why the popular car audio cable manufacturers offer three lines. Ferrari owners don't shop at Canadian Tire for their rubber.

Home Depot will not carry the cable. If there's no electronics outlet nearby try a major music store because many musicians make their own mic and guitar cables.

On that 'note', if anybody knows Bruce tell him I'd love to audition on keyboards for the E Street Band. Just one of my fantasies.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I had feeling my statement might stir the pot, being well aware of the discussion around cable quality. On the other hand, if you've ever used a studio microphone - not a stage model - and compared cables while recording digitally you will likely hear the difference. In other words, your cables, including those for the speakers, should match the quality of your components while you keep a skeptical eye out for manufacturer's hype. It seems to me that's why the popular car audio cable manufacturers offer three lines. Ferrari owners don't shop at Canadian Tire for their rubber.
It's not so much that the cable quality might make a difference in sound reproduction. Whether it does or not I feel is totally dependent on the listener, since everyone's ears are different. The real question is can you hear the difference over all of the other noise present in a vehicle? A car is a far cry from a recording studio, and spending a crapload of money on patch cables usually doesn't gain you much. At least in my admittedly limited experience. :)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
We have over a million dollars of inventory of Neumann alone, vintage and new.... This number doesnot include the Schoeps, DPA, Sennheiser, etc. We use Canare, nothing esoteric, and have made well regarded world class recordings.

In fact we did play with cabling when auditioning mic preamps, we found the preamp we liked (Millennia HV3c that time) and compared Canare to a rather expensive snake oil cable.... no difference was heard from any of the engineers.

Take it as you may.

Dissect a studio monitor and tell me what kind of speaker wire they use inside.

Tannoy, JBL, Meyer, Genelec, others... NONE advertise the cable that their monitors are wired with internally.

I would also like to add the the Ferrari probably uses the same type of copper wire my Honda has for it's internal wiring, maybe even the same composition in the spark plug wires. Metallurgy wise, many of the same metals thru and thru.

Comparing tires on a car in terms of quality is the same as comparing speaker components BIG difference between Seas and Goldwood. Same with Farm and fleet tires VS high end Pirelli's. Wire is wire as long as it's of good build quality.

Chad

·
Registered
16 Posts
My reference to the tires is called an analogy. Curious to know why you're critical of the wires in your speaker cabinets. Did you find something inferior about its' metallurgy? Still, I'm glad we all agree on Canare and the importance of scrutinizing the hype. If or when you get a Ferrari let us know where you buy your replacement tires.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Umm, your analogy is just an analogy. Doesn't mean its right.

Chad brought up the point about the speaker cabinets because if you go open one up, what will you find? 100% pure silver braid in teflon tube? no, plain ole copper wire. you will find this in bust buy speakers and in audiophile grade. why? because apples to apples, wire is wire.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Foil is 100% but not durable, fine in a car though. Braided is designed to flex and hold up to abuse but not 100% coverage.

Willyou hear a difference? Probably not unless you toss it under a large radio transmitter. Will you notice a difference in your wallet? Yep! A high quality cable with foil shield is 1/3 the price of a high quality cable with braided. (Comparing Gepco 61801EZ to Canare and other star quads.)

Chad

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Curious to know why you're critical of the wires in your speaker cabinets. Did you find something inferior about its' metallurgy?
Nope, I said that because you are concerned with the speaker cable outside the cab.

Still, I'm glad we all agree on Canare and the importance of scrutinizing the hype.
I think we are almost on the same page here, I don't consider Canare as an esoteric cable, it's a damn fine wrkhorse cable with great properties that allow easy winding, durability, and constructed in a way that inhibits self noise due to vibration.

If or when you get a Ferrari let us know where you buy your replacement tires.

I think the Ferarri is a beautiful vehicle and if I owned one you would hear my ass cheeks clapping in Canada :D I AM shopping for a vehicle fo that "drive on a weekend" status. Used Ferarri's were not out of the question, along with Porsche and others. I have pretty much made up my mind to do 1 of 3 things. Mid 80's vette, heavily built in the engine department. Classic 60's muscle restored but modernized. Or an old Gangster car, chopped, rolled, and hot-rod cool. It's more my style. It's also something I can enjoy working on with my kid. A Fererri or foreign exotic would be VERY cool but I kinda want something to tinker with at the same time. I'd just end up looking at a Ferarri 5 days a week and driving it on the weekend, I wanna put the hood up ;)

Chad

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

They consider this guitar cable. Don't you need two conductors for any signal wiring (RCA/guitar/etc)? There's only one. Is the shield used as ground?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
The 61801 is a dream to work with, just score the outer jacket, snap it in 2 directions and pull, the foil comes with and you are left with a red, black, and drain wire. Just good stuff. I use it in a transmitter shack with all the transmitters under 50KW FM bays and next to a 3KW AM skirt antenna and never have RFI issues.

Just use the shield as ground/drain on the gee-tar cable, that's how it's used;) That cable is good to use if it's quality guitar cable because in guitar situations you have to deal with the "microphonics" that I was talking about earlier. Guitar players will attest to the fact that in high gain situations the shittiness of a cable really shines when you wiggle it on the floor and you hear crackling sounds, the worst ones you can flick with your finger and it sounds like someone is knocking on a door :eek:

Chad

21 - 40 of 869 Posts