DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 869 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,

Just been reading some of the DIY RCA Cable threads, and thought about making my own.

With regards the cable itself, I have got access to rather a large quantity of the following cable at work, Belden 9269, and I was wondering if it would be suitable for making RCA's from?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Hi guys,

Just been reading some of the DIY RCA Cable threads, and thought about making my own.

With regards the cable itself, I have got access to rather a large quantity of the following cable at work, Belden 9269, and I was wondering if it would be suitable for making RCA's from?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy
It wold work fine.... BTW.... What are you using 93 ohm cable at work for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Chad,

Thanks for confirming that it will be ok to use ;)

We use the 93 Ohm cable for networking some of the test equipment we use in our manufacturing facility. Apparently it's quite unique...

Saying that, I think we've got somewhere in the region of 20,000 feet of it in boxes in one of the store rooms, which hasn't been used for over 5 years !!

Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
My thoughts precisely ;)

Just need to find some nice connectors now, and get some cables made up.

Have found a supplier of braided sheathing, similair to Techflex, and heatshrink, so I'm sorted now.

Andy

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'd like to know this as well. Is doubling up necessary?

Partsexpress has some decent looking ones in that price range.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&CAT_ID=39&ObjectGroup_ID=125&SO=2

These P3 ones look pretty good, $10 for 4 of them.

i'm still stuck on what RCA's to get.... my car stero is going to have around 30 RCA connections... and @ 2 bucks a piece...thats almost as much as I spent on the wire :rolleyes:

anyone know of a good bulk offer or anything? I just cant see spending that much JUST on RCA CONNECTORS...

·
Registered
2,742 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
i'm still stuck on what RCA's to get.... my car stero is going to have around 30 RCA connections... and @ 2 bucks a piece...thats almost as much as I spent on the wire :rolleyes:

anyone know of a good bulk offer or anything? I just cant see spending that much JUST on RCA CONNECTORS...
Hot Deals link to Streetwires connectors on eBay. Still had some 2 days ago when I looked.
I just bought a 50 pack of these and I only need 20. I could send you the other 30 for $15 shipped.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Could I use that 4-channel Gepco cable to make a stereo RCA that has 2 inputs and 4 outputs? Essentially avoiding the need for a Y-splitter, since I'm gonna have 2 subwoofer amps? Or would I be better off just running into one amp and then from the outputs to the next sub amp?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Based on the e-bay photos, albeit limited in scope, I'm left with the impression the RCA's are garbage "gold plated" connectors. Note that the seller did not include any closeups. I saw these connectors at the local supply house for dirt cheap and, in my opinion, were not worth my time and effort, especially since I wanted to upgrade. I believe the best entry level RCA connector for the dollar are the cheaper Neutriks. Next best connector without getting sucked into the hype? The more expensive Neutriks, of course. I have also been extremely pleased (and surprised) with the results from Belden's Star Quad cable. Glad to see your initiative in building your own interconnects. You will save a bundle of money, be absolutely sure about what's inside, and optimize your system - all at the same time.

Richard (Calgary)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Check out these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270168079628&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

I just bought them on Egay and the seller has a couple more sets. Look very nice, IMO.

Good feedback, good communication, I got a shipping notice less than an hour after I paid. Now I gotta find the right cable, sleeving and shrinkwrap.

<sigh>
"We'll' try to send 12 red striped and 12 black striped ones."

LMAO At least they'll try. What more could you ask for in customer service.:D

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Based on the e-bay photos, albeit limited in scope, I'm left with the impression the RCA's are garbage "gold plated" connectors. Note that the seller did not include any closeups. I saw these connectors at the local supply house for dirt cheap and, in my opinion, were not worth my time and effort, especially since I wanted to upgrade. I believe the best entry level RCA connector for the dollar are the cheaper Neutriks. Next best connector without getting sucked into the hype? The more expensive Neutriks, of course. I have also been extremely pleased (and surprised) with the results from Belden's Star Quad cable. Glad to see your initiative in building your own interconnects. You will save a bundle of money, be absolutely sure about what's inside, and optimize your system - all at the same time.

Richard (Calgary)
Yep. the "Dollar Neutriks" from many suppliers are killer, I can post pics tomorrow. I think they are a buck, can't remember the model number... maybe 121's? Dammit, rambling....

Chad

41 - 60 of 869 Posts