DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that you can't usually buy something based solely on the specs but other then spending money to experience the product specs and reviews are really our best source of info to make a decision. I have been looking for upgrades for my system and I would really like to find a digital (class D amp) with a crossover that goes high enough (say 4 or 5K) to run a two way center channel active. Since the passive crossovers are so expensive and probably not as good it makes sense to me to have the crossovers in the amp go high enough so I don't need another piece of equipment (active crossover). Currently I have an MS-8 and I have a set of Mille ML700 / ML280 's that I want to use as my center channel but no (passive crossovers) hence the idea to go active with the proper amp.

I have read good things about the Hertz class D amps but when I look at the specs and compare them to the Alpine PDX-F6 amps here is what I see;

Alpine PDX-F6 - CEA-2006 Power Rating - 150W RMS x 4 (4Ω,<0.05% THD+N, 14.4V) S/N:94dBA (ref: 1W into 4Ω)

Hertz HDP4 - CEA-2006 Power Rating - 120W RMS x 4 (4Ω,</=1% THD+N, 14.4V) S/N:80dBA (ref: 1W into 4Ω)

As you can see on paper the Alpine is way better (14dba!! and 30 more watts) but I could see the Hertz being very good in the real world. I am currently running 2 Alpine PDX-F4's and I find them amazingly good. They can play loud and clear with great detail in my current setup but the Alpine's crossovers only go up to 400HZ where the Hertz goes to 5K. The Hertz also puts out more power when bridged whereas the Alpine is simply the sum of the channels bridged (Alpine 300 watts bridged, Hertz 500 watts bridged).

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just saw slade1274's BMW which leads me to believe that the Hertz Amps are top shelf. Still curious about the spec thing though...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
On paper the Alpine is better, though the Hertz crossover would be better in your app.

However the Alpine may still be the better choice for you if you added some of these:
FMOD (Filter Module) High Pass RCA Level Crossover

Very cheap and easy way to crossover your speakers "actively" without a processor or amp with suitable crossovers.

Not heard either amp in person so can't comment any further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts