DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week for my birthday my wife bought me a "system" for my boat. I have a 24' Grady White and had spent the last month planning out how and what I wanted to do with it. I really couldnt decide because I really didnt care that much about tunes on the boat since I really am more of a fisherman than an audiophile on the boat. A bit worried about much electronics I dont need when heading out 50-100 miles offshore.
Anyway she bought me a "Boss" system that is simply a head unit and 4 - 6.5" coax. It has bluetooth and a remote. I think I may build some simple PVC cap pods for them. I have some leftover gear from a car I did last which is a Pioneer 4 channel 8604 and a mono 9601. Also have the SI MKII shallow sub and box but I dont think I want to use that on the boat. May just buy a cheapy or a marine sub and box. I have a cabin and can keep stuff dry easily.

My first question is there are 2 RCA out (L and R I believe) on the head unit along with 4 speaker outs. Do I want to run the 4 speaker outs to the 4 channel amp and then the 2 RCA outs to the mono for the sub?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Could justify doing either way, depends on the headunit controls/options.

If the rca's make more sense to use just for sub control(read the HU manual), that might make more sense.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the manual doesnt really tell you much on this one. Im just hoping by adding a sub I can make this sound decent.
Im trying to figure out where I want to put the amps too. Its a long run from the batterys to the cabin. I guess I could put the amps back by the batteries because its pretty dry back there too. It would be a longer run for the speaker wires, but they would be much cheaper than 50' of power wire and 50' of ground wire.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! I say pretty dry because it is, after all, a boat. So the potential is always there to get wet. This is equiptment that I already had, and I dont think I paid much for it to start with. So if it gets jacked...so be it.
Since I really dont want to ruin my SI MKII, what would you recommend for a boat? I assume you wont really get accurate bass in a boat because its open air and really fairly noisy. Im just wanting a single. Would a 12" be better than a 10" in this application? Normally like 10" for my autos, but this is totally different. I was thinking maybe a $100 sub in a ported box. Maybe I should check craigslist for something decent and cheap.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yeah, would look for used in that case. Doesn't have to be fancy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well crap. Another monkey wrench! I just looked at the amps. There is no provison for speaker wire inputs. RCA only. I did see that the amps have an output. Can I run the RCA out from the HU into one of the amps, then from that amp output to the other amp input?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yep, that'll do it.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Cool good luck, if you have any doubts check the amp's manuals quick. Should work well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I believe I threw the boxes (which I hope have the manuals) in the attic. Now where did I put the bass boost knob??!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts