Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There's something uniquely fun about the challenge of designing/layout of a small footprint work space.
Finding new ways to multipurpose/maximize bench space, and mobile benches.
Storage solutions, the list goes on.
That's what I like about the tiny house craze.
It's all about innovation and organization.
I could never live in one, but I think it would be a blast to build one.
Maybe just as a weekend cabin/getaway, IDK.

I've been working out of a 14x20 for 20 years.
It's been through several stages of organization, and will most likely never be "done".
Always a new tool or idea, that makes me want to improve, or reconfigure things.
I constantly dream about being able to build a bigger shop, at least 30x30.
Then I realize all I would do is buy more tools and shit to cram in there, and wish I could build a 60x60.:rolleyes:

Yours tuned out KILLER, BTW. Super jelly!:)

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Killer setup and layout, Jon!

I like the idea for the hinged, fold-down welding table, the benchtop turntable for the belt sander/bench grinders, and the built-in spindle sander.

[email protected] jointers take up so much space though, right!? :( I'm trying to find a way to keep my 8" jointer but it's a real struggle, especially for how little I use it. But when you need it, you really need it!

Luckily I came across a really great hinged, under-counter/fold-out solution for storing & using my 13" thickness planer in one of Iggy Swan's YouTube videos, because otherwise I was struggling with how to work that into my shop layout as well.

Oh...I should have said sooner that I'm currently moving my workshop into a 20ft shipping container, so my planned setup is VERY similar to yours, but not nearly as "clean room" clean, haha. It will still be a light & airy workspace tho', which I like about your workspace.

I prefer to keep most of the benchtop power tools on moveable but nesting/rolling workbench carts as sometimes you need extra clearance when working on large parts & assemblies. They've got to be sturdy & stable, though, so that's a challenge.

And I've planned an almost identical compound-sliding miter/chop saw station with the removable magnetic panels dust collection box as well. :thumbsup: It's the messiest tool in the shop!

Those Rockler Dust-Right Quick Change dust collection hoses and fittings are a great solution for small shops as well. :)

IME, the largest hurdle to overcome in a small shop is quick & easy access to organized raw materials storage...especially for large sheet goods and pipe/tubing/flat stock/angle iron, etc. But also for the many smaller (but still useable) off-cuts. That's my current design project challenge. :(

Anyway, I'm REALLY loving what you have done with your space! HUGE :thumbsup:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Fan-freakin-tastic! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
WOW!!! You absolutely have made the very best out of a one-car garage! What an amazing job you have done in both design and execution! Truly a work of art! Thank you for sharing!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts