DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - just bought a boat that's in deperate need of a complete system. Has a really old system that does not even have bluetooth. 1st - I cannot mount a soundbar or elevated speakers - the boat has no tower.

I have room for 4 speakers and a sub. So I want
1. A stereo
2. 4 speakers (6.5" to replace existing old speakers)
3. An amp, or possibly two (one for speakers and one for sub)
4. One subwoofer - possibly two
5, a bluetooth remote to mount on the transom for when we are swimming (it could be wired is really necessary

I am open to all ideas.Cost is not a consideration.

I play music exclusively through Bluetooth/Pandora

Naval architecture Water Urban design Automotive exterior Shade

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Recently got roped into doing a boat for a family member… First replace all wiring. And only use ofc wire through out. His boat is I think 2005 so it’s head unit was dated as well. We changed to a Clarion marine radio. It’s pretty nice and there’s a multitude of add ons too. We added the WiFi module to his and downloaded the clarion app. It actually works pretty well. They also offer transom remotes. I didn’t find a lot to choose from “marine” wise but felt it important. He had upgraded previously to some marine Kicker 8” coaxs that actually sound great (in a boat!). We also changed an amp out to a marine NVX 6 channel and it’s performed well.

Put some knee pads on, plan to spend 3x the amount of time figured and baby powder helps with the fiberglass itch!!! I was sore as fukc!!!

Reactions: jjj0923

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Recently got roped into doing a boat for a family member… First replace all wiring. And only use ofc wire through out. His boat is I think 2005 so it’s head unit was dated as well. We changed to a Clarion marine radio. It’s pretty nice and there’s a multitude of add ons too. We added the WiFi module to his and downloaded the clarion app. It actually works pretty well. They also offer transom remotes. I didn’t find a lot to choose from “marine” wise but felt it important. He had upgraded previously to some marine Kicker 8” coaxs that actually sound great (in a boat!). We also changed an amp out to a marine NVX 6 channel and it’s performed well.

Put some knee pads on, plan to spend 3x the amount of time figured and baby powder helps with the fiberglass itch!!! I was sore as fukc!!!
thank you - I'll wear long sleeves

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Knu conceptz tinned ofc. Don’t use anything other than tinned OFC and marine grade heat shrink. You want everything wiring related to be tinned copper to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Nice boat! I have a Yamaha Sx230 that was a similar deal.

I used the higher end infinity head unit, I like it overall. I will say, marine gear is much more contract manufactured. Infinity makes none of their marine products, they relabel them from another company that also happens to sell to oems.

That said, I have rockford fosgate 6.5s, just the prime ones actually, and I run them off a prime 4 channel. They're very bassy and sound great. You can actually hear them over the wind, which is saying a lot because the wind noise in a boat is huge. I bought a 10" sub but haven't yet had the balls to cut a big hole in the boat to mount it.

A lot of the guys on the jet boat forums swear by Polk, it's cheap and OK. I went a step above that with rockford. The infinity marine stuff seems nice too, and people that spend for the JL or wet sounds love them. I didn't want all the stupid Leds and stuff on my speakers, so that partly drove my choice, and I also wanted a more protective speaker grille. Drunk girls and all. I can tell you the rockford have held up to a lot of spills and people kicking them and all that, I have nothing bad to say about them. I wish they made them in a slightly smaller size to put in as bow and transom speakers.

Regarding a sub, if you're too chickens hit to cut a 10" hole like me, you can use a sealed or ported enclosure, but in most cases you need to cut a big ass hole to vent the area you put the box in. The nice part there is you can do a series of smaller holes.

The other thing I will say, is get ready to buy batteries. Boats don't recharge batteries as quickly as cars, so you're ALWAYS running out of juice. I have 2 house batteries and a separate starting battery on an Act, so even if I run the house Batts down, I can still start. There's nothing worse than needing a jump in a boat at the end of the day, because NOBODY has jumper cables on a boat, even if people are more likely to have boat problems than car ones.

Reactions: brandom79
1 - 6 of 6 Posts