DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm using my mark levinson rosebud bookshelf speakers (read that their the same as th aurum cantus speakers) in my car. I removed them from the bookshelf including the passive xover.
They consist of a pair of ribbon tweeters and a pair of 5" midwoofers.

I've mounted them on my car and they some amazing! But I feel that it lacks midbass comparing from my previous set-up using MW160 midwoofers.

What do you guys think about buying a pair of aurum cantus 6.5" midwoofer to replace my 5"ers. I'll still be using the xovers that came with the bookshelf. :D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I wouldve re salvage the old cabinets and use the system in my room.
It isnt that expensive if you buy the drivers (provided that they're the exact drivers on the diy market) and copy the xover parts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do because the xover points would be different for a different driver even if they are made by the same manufacturer. It just wouldn't sound right. I think an improper xover would be very noticeable in a car because you are listening off axis. Proper xover design and implementation is just as important as tweeter and driver selection. Here's a good article on xover points:
http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Articles/xover article/xpointmain.htm

If I were you I'd put those speakers back together and just buy the components separately and maybe get an adjustable active xover. A better ribbon might be the fountek neos. They are at least on par with the aurum. I heard that the founteks have been redesigned to be much stronger (i.e. able to handle much more power).
I'm guessing that the aurum midbass weren't designed to be placed in an infinite baffle (i.e. in door). So, that may be why you aren't getting the sound that you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.