DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So with much hesitation (because I haven’t exactly been the biggest fanboy.....not because of masconi , but only because orca tech support is hands down the worst on earth) I haven’t written a review. However , the aerospace deserves some love.

What this thing does and does absolutely amazing and makes this by far the best traditional dsp made and on the market.

1. It has a sharc on board (why the fir is not unlocked bewildering me such a complete waste of a badass dsp) that needs a unlocked fir bank on each output or at least the 8 “front” channels , for anyone that doesn’t know the adsp sharc is a very awesome floating point dsp. The I-EEE guys probably would think what a waste for not giving us a .bin file to load up or at least a sd slot to load an fir onto the sharc... But we’ll see maybe that can change.

2. The dsp has 1/3oactave parametric eq on the input. Gosh dam that is frikkin awesome. 10ch parametric just isn’t enough and sometimes I like tuning (okay a lot of time) I like to tune witha live rta. It produces the best sound and it’s fast. Live rta tuning is absolutely the way to go in a car , REW auto eq produces boring results and just dosent quote do it for me like live rta does. So hats off to masconi for doing the 30 band. I absolutely love it and it really is the way to go as far as minimum phase eq goes. And it’s 2ch! Having a big 2ch eq that affects all the speakers is the best for room tuning. You don’t want a bunch of small eqs at the outputs as the only means of eq.
Output eq is only for driver specific issues and not room issues. A car is room dominated. With the 8to12dsp no problem there either, peq is a function also on each output stack. So you have that as well. So very nicely done. Just the right amount of dsp where it properly belongs on a dsp.

3. Best of all besides the big 30band input eq that interpolates great is the fact that with the masconi you can cascade filters at every output! This is such a badass feature!
So your tweeters can inherit the phase changes from all other HPFs and the subs can inherit all the LPF in the signal chain and the mid can truly be complimentary. This is almost as good as linear phase....almost. If it only had a fir bank whitch it’s capable of the perfect cascade could be realized. The ability to cascade filters is no small thing to be scoffed at in sq. This is a massive bonus and is a proper way of setting up a dsp. Oh and not to mention it has 1st and 2nd order APF on the fly at each output stack, yeah creating a linear phase transfer function is quite possible in The IIR. Just have to have a little knowledge and your there. This dsp is for the expert tuner and is truly a professional tool.

It also has an additional eq for sub and rears
But the big main eq is over the 1st 8 outputs do you could stack a 4way to that eq if you wanted. Bravo!

This dsp is extremely well thought out, has everything you would ever want. The remote works excellent, the wired remote is sold separately but does sub main volume control and can switch between the 4 presets on the sharc.

Gang this is the dsp you want to go after a Dirac 2ch box like the ddrc22d. If this had a Dirac on board it would be the best dsp on the planet. It’s capable of it with the sharc. Be interesting to see what masconi has planned for the future with a sharc on this dsp.

This kicks a helix square in the ass, and is a very good sounding dsp. Easily one of my favorite pieces of equipment.

The minidsp 8x12DL and the masconi 8to12dsp are my two top favorite car dsps
I can’t tell which one I like more , I like them both very much. If I absolutely had to pick one it would be the masconi. Than I would stick a minidsp ddrc22d upstream of it and have by far the best dsp that nothing could come close to and get the best possible flexibility. For a non Dirac dsp the masconi 8to12dsp is a easy choice. It’s that good and that much better

·
Registered
742 Posts
I actually thought mosconi was behind in the DSP game. It's surprising to hear that the mosconi sounds better. Thanks for the review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice review! I must say I have the 8to12 aerospace as soon as it was out there and must say I realy like it, much
easier to use then many other dsp's and sounds great with great tuning options.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the UI is black and white and it seemed a little behind the curve. Once I got into it and now that I have a little more of a clue than I did two years ago, it’s actually setup exactly how a dsp should be set up

It has everything setup with the mindset of inherent phase across a multi-way.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice review! I must say I have the 8to12 aerospace as soon as it was out there and must say I realy like it, much
easier to use then many other dsp's and sounds great with great tuning options.
Lmk if you ever want to sell it.

I’m probably going to have to sell some stuff to get one now.

I tuned a set of focal M 3ways with one and my goodness it sounded downright amazing

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lmk if you ever want to sell it.

I’m probably going to have to sell some stuff to get one now.

I tuned a set of focal M 3ways with one and my goodness it sounded downright amazing
hahaha not gone sell it soon... until I find something for a reasonable price that is better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oabeieo,

Could you explain what you meant by "So your tweeters can inherit the phase changes from all other HPFs and the subs can inherit all the LPF in the signal chain and the mid can truly be complimentary."? I have a 6to8 Aerospace and would love to improve my tuning skills. As for APF, I've kind of given up on that for now. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
OMG, I just realized I was confusing myself. Just stack each LPF or HPF across each channel! Ex: for tweeter, if you have an HPF at 80 for midbass, 300 for mid and 3400 Hz for tweeter, also define each of those on the tweeter.

Going to go try this right now ...

·
Registered
90 Posts
As you have to do speaker eq with these filters this leaves little room for speaker correction if using 6 of the 10 available filters for xovers. You basically have a 4-channel peq then for this particular driver (and yes, the 30 band for each side sub/midbass/mid/tweeter). Not counting the upcoming phase correction in the next version of the GUI that let you set phase at crossover for each driver automatically or in 1° steps if wanted/needed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The phase control is already there, only not automated... you can set the allpass filters by hand.

Use the EQ's in the filter section for the crosover range and do the rest with the overall EQ more then enough that way! also with normal filter setting off 24db you only need 4 slots for high and lowpass... Maybe an allpass filter but that should be it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know, but they announced something new two days ago on Facebook where Frank Miketta showed the new automated PhaC. Look it up on the Gladen Audio Facebook site.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know, but they announced something new two days ago on Facebook where Frank Miketta showed the new automated PhaC. Look it up on the Gladen Audio Facebook site.
I know, but what that does is the same as what you can do manualy only takes a lot off know how and time.. and the new function does it with a push on the button... lets hope it works with the old firmware...

·
Registered
290 Posts
For the 2nd last revision of the GUI you need firmware > 4.0 on the Aerospace devices.
No it still works on the old firmware, only the new functions in the dsp it self don't... As they say in the video this is only an update in the sofware on the pc so should hopefuly work also on the older fimrware...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
. Best of all besides the big 30band input eq that interpolates great is the fact that with the masconi you can cascade filters at every output! This is such a badass feature!
So your tweeters can inherit the phase changes from all other HPFs and the subs can inherit all the LPF in the signal chain and the mid can truly be complimentary. This is almost as good as linear phase....almost. If it only had a fir bank whitch it’s capable of the perfect cascade could be realized. The ability to cascade filters is no small thing to be scoffed at in sq. This is a massive bonus and is a proper way of setting up a dsp. Oh and not to mention it has 1st and 2nd order APF on the fly at each output stack, yeah creating a linear phase transfer function is quite possible in The IIR. Just have to have a little knowledge and your there. This dsp is for the expert tuner and is truly a professional tool.
I'm wondering if the same xover cascading can be accomplished in the MiniDSP 8x12DL by using biquads on the outputs?

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As you have to do speaker eq with these filters this leaves little room for speaker correction if using 6 of the 10 available filters for xovers. You basically have a 4-channel peq then for this particular driver (and yes, the 30 band for each side sub/midbass/mid/tweeter). Not counting the upcoming phase correction in the next version of the GUI that let you set phase at crossover for each driver automatically or in 1° steps if wanted/needed.
There’s still plenty of banks to do speaker eq also ..... speaker eq shoyld ol y need one maybe two eqs to only for crossover alignment.... inband eq should be done in main eq (gloabal)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts