DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CK Series Speakers have been a staple product of Massive Audio for many years. Consumers and retailers know it as a very moderately priced mid-range component that is made to be played extremely loud and hard without fear of distortion so listeners don’t miss a beat!

The biggest request the company received on the CK 6 over the years was to match the tweeters power handling with the high power that the woofer could handle. Massive did this by adding a 28mm silk dome tweeter to the kit “Stage III”. Then Massive Audio went a step further and improved the crossovers for the perfect blend of mids, lows and highs.

The CK 6X and CK 69X have already been upgraded with 28mm pure German silk dome tweeters to increase output and improve “imaging” quality. The all New flexible 18 dB “Phase Coherent Linkwitz-Riley Crossover Network” allows for precise tuning.

The tweeter can now be mounted as a “true co-axial” due to a removable phase plug that allows you to insert the swivel tweeter through woofer enabling many more speaker location possibilities. Mix that with an ultra light “Carbon Fiber” cone and a diamond polished cast basket and fans of the Massive Audio CK Classic series won’t believe their ears “again”!

For more information visit Massive Audio | High performance car audio..

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
What's the difference between these and CK6V?

I am curious about these specs of CK6X:

What's the drivers' one way xmax in mm?
What's the mounting depth?
What's the driver's fs?
What's the crossover frequency between woofer and tweeter?
What's the recommended high pass frequency for the woofer?

·
Registered
465 Posts
What's the difference between these and CK6V?

I am curious about these specs of CK6X:

What's the drivers' one way xmax in mm?
What's the mounting depth?
What's the driver's fs?
What's the crossover frequency between woofer and tweeter?
What's the recommended high pass frequency for the woofer?
i believe from reading, the only difference between these and the ck6v is that the mid has a phase plug rather than a dust cap, which allows the tweeter to be mounted to (similarly to the HAT imagines) rather than the braxial mount.

given that, i wouldn't think there's going to be a whole lot of difference -- the moving mass might be slightly different given the swap from a dust cap to a phase plug, but beyond that i think the drivers are the same.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
given that, i wouldn't think there's going to be a whole lot of difference -- the moving mass might be slightly different given the swap from a dust cap to a phase plug, but beyond that i think the drivers are the same.
If you look at the specs of the CK6V compared to the CK6X there are numerous changes. One that stands out is the higher power handling of the CK6X, yet the sensitivity is higher. Due to Hoffman's Iron Law this looks suspicious. They also changed the FR from 20-20kHz(also BS) to 69-20kHz, which looks like it would lend to a fast roll-off on the low end.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If you look at the specs of the CK6V compared to the CK6X there are numerous changes. One that stands out is the higher power handling of the CK6X, yet the sensitivity is higher. Due to Hoffman's Iron Law this looks suspicious. They also changed the FR from 20-20kHz(also BS) to 69-20kHz, which looks like it would lend to a fast roll-off on the low end.
Massive says they are CEA rated for speakers as well but I have not been able to find the CEA criteria anywhere for anything..one has to pay to see that and I am to cheep!

But for your suspicious power handling rating, it depends how power handling is measured, if you change how it's measured that would be one way of doing it. I really don't know the details but if they use to rate from 20hz to 20khz then clearly if you changed the testing to 69hz to 20khz the driver could take more power "ratings" wise.

Just like if you crossed it even higher, lets say at 500hz, it could take a ton more power.

Speaker power handling ratings are for newbs anyway :p

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i believe from reading, the only difference between these and the ck6v is that the mid has a phase plug rather than a dust cap, which allows the tweeter to be mounted to (similarly to the HAT imagines) rather than the braxial mount.

This is exactly right. The power handling is a little bit higher on the CKX now but for the most part it is very similar with the mounting of the tweeter being the prominent change.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
But for your suspicious power handling rating, it depends how power handling is measured, if you change how it's measured that would be one way of doing it. I really don't know the details but if they use to rate from 20hz to 20khz then clearly if you changed the testing to 69hz to 20khz the driver could take more power "ratings" wise.
Touche
I still don't believe a 6.5" mid is going to play down to 20 Hz audibly without an enclosure.

Speaker power handling ratings are for newbs anyway :p
The problem with power handling ratings is 99% of consumers rely on that to decide on a purchase. They don't consider bandwidth when comparing power handling even if manufacturers explicitly state a recommended HPF frequency that's higher than the advertised frequency response range. CEA ratings are a step in a better direction but I don't think it's enough.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
They also changed the FR from 20-20kHz(also BS) to 69-20kHz, which looks like it would lend to a fast roll-off on the low end.
Frequency response of any device does not mean much unless you know how it was measured. Frequency response is simply the longest band in the frequency domain such that the SPL at 1watt stays within a certain narrow band. You can have a more extended FR if you measure it within say the -4.5dB/+4.5dB band (9dB wide band), or you can have much narrower FR range if you measure it at say +0dB/-3dB (3dB wide). Narrower FR range does not necessary imply the speaker rolls off sharply at low frequencies, although it's usually the case. Also, FR could change significantly with higher wattage. I believe a better measure of how well the speaker can play low frequencies is resonance frequency and linear one way xmax in mm. I would expect a midbass speaker with fs of 60Hz or lower and with xmax of 5mm or higher to have a beefy midbass output.

·
Registered
465 Posts
seems that with the rep clarifying what i said, they just changed their methods of testing/listing specs in some way.

the power handling is mostly a useless change, if you cross it over at 80hz i think my models showed that it can still only take 100ish watts mechanically before bottoming out @ 80hz, so unless someone is eq'ing an absurd amount of upper midbass in, i don't see that being much of a change. the .1db increase in sensitivity may be due to lower moving mass though i don't know a whole lot about this stuff like you guys do.

regardless of whether they list things incorrectly, the ck6v's are very nice, especially for the price and i suspect the ck6x will continue that. and to anyone that may have questions, their customer support is very pleasant to deal with and they reply to emails quickly. :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Customer service is good in my experience.

I am very tempted in their 6x9 offering... that thing must be impressive considering how the smaller 6.5's are. I'm glad they kept them as last year they were apparently not continuing on with the 6x9 CK set. Glad they kept it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Touche
I still don't believe a 6.5" mid is going to play down to 20 Hz audibly without an enclosure.

The problem with power handling ratings is 99% of consumers rely on that to decide on a purchase. They don't consider bandwidth when comparing power handling even if manufacturers explicitly state a recommended HPF frequency that's higher than the advertised frequency response range. CEA ratings are a step in a better direction but I don't think it's enough.
20 Hz to 69 Hz is a huge jump up far as i'am concerned and a deal breaker for my system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts