DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what amp you guys recommend i have a kicker ZX650.4 and its not enough... I also replaced the massive tweeters with a set of mb quart ptk40 and they sound great but my mid bass is lacking...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Are you running bridged through the passive x-overs? (should be around 320rms)

Or are you running active with 120rms on each channel?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Running passive bridged and sealed doors... I could just be expecting more out of these then possible... Idk

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you're sealed and don't just have dampener then something is wrong. Granted, it'll still be somewhat loud without having something like mass loaded vinyl in there. I ran 300rms to them through the passive and they had plenty. They are power hungry, but that should be more than enough.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd deaden the doors.

For about $100 you can pick up a 37.5 ft^2 roll of RAAMmat and have plenty to deaden the doors and then some.

From what I've heard about the RK6s, they put out plenty of midbass once the doors are sealed and deadened. Are your crossover points too high perhaps? If they're crossed at 100Hz or something like that the midbass will feel lacking. Try 63Hz at 24db, it may be that your crossover points are too high.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doors are deadended and sealed... Crossover point is at 80 I think I'll check and try 63 thanks...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sealed and deadened and still don't have the midbass. That's weird. Most guys that have reviewed them said they had plenty of midbass.

How old are the drivers? If they haven't been played for very long, their suspension could be tight. Once they loosen up midbass should improve.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
about 2 weeks old there is mid bass just not as much as i expected i had Orion xtr's before and there was not a big difference between the two...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Once you get some play time into the speakers they should improve.

With as much power as you're running through them, midbass should be plenty once they loosen up.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I run my rk6s in my ford contour with 75 watts a side from a 9400(ish) pioneer amp. I have about 40 hours on them now and they have continued to sound better and better.

I haven't deadened my doors at all as, I just intended to drop them in till I got a new car, and their bass output is enormous! Blended seamlessly with my FI Q12

My only complaint is the tweeters tend to sound harsh with some metal songs (for example overlord by black label society has a few parts in it that make my ears cry of I have it cranked up)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the tweeters was the first thing to go... haha I had them for 1 day and agree 100% they are harsh... I got a set of mb quart ptk40 and man they sound great for the cost... also i only have about 2hrs of play time on these so we will see in a few weeks how they sound

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are there some partsexpress tweeters that have been mated to the RK6 successfully? The weakest part of the RK6 are the crossovers making the tweets harsh. $90 for those MBQs is quite a bit. I'm sure there's some DIY tweets that would do well on the RK6 crossovers.

EDIT: Don't want to threadjack, just curious if you looked at any other more budget friendly options.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got them for $60 off amazon not saying that's cheap but they really sound good so ill work with it.. i was looking at some of the parts express tweets also...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts