DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if those of you with Massive Audio Nano series amps (especially NX2 and NX5 amps), do you have a turn on pop? I have one I cannot get rid of and I'm wondering if it is the amp itself. Also, I can hear it on my NX5 AND NX2 amps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Negative. I have an N2 and and NX2. Are your amps turning on before the source unit?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Son of a *****. Haha. Alright the hunt continues. I have a delay on them now with the PAC TR7 and the still pop even with the RCAs disconnected and if they start after the source is already on. Something weird is going on.

I suspect it must be somehow ground related. I have both amps grounded to the same point. One has a 4AWG run that is maybe 2 ft and the other is maybe 6ft. I also have my H100 processor grounded to the same spot and the RCA cables I made have the ground connected on both sides (not sure if that matters in this case, but trying to think of all details). Then my HU and bluetooth module along with (x2) PAC TR7 modules are grounded with the OEM harness and to metal framing behind the HU. I'm going to do some more troubleshooting but if anybody has any thoughts, let me know.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I've heard that sometimes the head unit needs to be grounded to the amplifier (have a wire from the HU chassis to the amplifiers ground point). As far as me tring it I haven't but its worth the shot.

I think this is the same as those old set ups where the RCA's had the ground wire. Some amps had the specific point in the amp to hook up that ground wire. My KAC1023 has it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't have massive audio amp but one of my amps does that. I'm unsure but I think it could be ground. Make sure there done right. I have heard shorter is better for grounding your amps. I will replace my grounds location to thinker metal and see if it kills the pop sound when turning them on.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
1st step is to toss a different amp in

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, I tried grounding the head unit to the same spot as the amps. Didn't really help. I have some more things to try, but I need to take both seats out plus the console, and pull the carpet back. Probably will happen in 2 weeks time.

With the grounds, my NX5 has a 1' or less ground length. The NX2 has probably a 4-6' ground length. So I have the option of either keeping the NX2 ground long and have both amps grounded in a common spot, or shorten it and ground them separately. If I separated them, I worry about ground loops then.

I also need to try a different ground location. However, I did see another guy on here with his amp grounded to the same bolt, so who knows. And yes, I did scrape all the paint off at that point.

The one thing I still don't get is that my NX5 turns like 3 sec before my NX2 and they are both on the same remote turn on lead.

What I will try:
1) Remove additional 4AWG ground wire I put from batt (-) to chassis
2) Unplug ALL RCA cables from BOTH amps and test if they still pop (I previously only did the RCAs on the NX2)
3) Remove NX2 and distro block from the equation and see if NX5 still pops
4) Up-size remote turn on wire (22AWG now, will try to avoid this)
5) Move processor ground away from amp ground point
6) Move HU ground from metal behind dash to amp ground point AND disconnect ground that goes to OEM harness (so the only place anything grounds is at the amps)
7) Move amps away from their current location and test (still in car)
8) Try to get local shop to test amp(s) out of car to see if they pop

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Yea, I tried grounding the head unit to the same spot as the amps. Didn't really help. I have some more things to try, but I need to take both seats out plus the console, and pull the carpet back. Probably will happen in 2 weeks time.

With the grounds, my NX5 has a 1' or less ground length. The NX2 has probably a 4-6' ground length. So I have the option of either keeping the NX2 ground long and have both amps grounded in a common spot, or shorten it and ground them separately. If I separated them, I worry about ground loops then.

I also need to try a different ground location. However, I did see another guy on here with his amp grounded to the same bolt, so who knows. And yes, I did scrape all the paint off at that point.

The one thing I still don't get is that my NX5 turns like 3 sec before my NX2 and they are both on the same remote turn on lead.

What I will try:
1) Remove additional 4AWG ground wire I put from batt (-) to chassis
2) Unplug ALL RCA cables from BOTH amps and test if they still pop (I previously only did the RCAs on the NX2)
3) Remove NX2 and distro block from the equation and see if NX5 still pops
4) Up-size remote turn on wire (22AWG now, will try to avoid this)
5) Move processor ground away from amp ground point
6) Move HU ground from metal behind dash to amp ground point AND disconnect ground that goes to OEM harness (so the only place anything grounds is at the amps)
7) Move amps away from their current location and test (still in car)
8) Try to get local shop to test amp(s) out of car to see if they pop
You telling me you dont have a spare amp laying around to hook up for a quick troubleshoot before you rip apart your seats for whatever??

We all have amps in the basement. You are not one of us.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats on the list too. I'll put the NX2 in my wife's car in place of the current little JL amp and see. But the amps are screwed down under the seats. Seats come out either way if I'm removing amps from the car. But with people saying they don't have problems with their Nanos, I'm skeptical that both of my amps have the same fault that is causing a turn on pop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts