Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just got done installing a few new amplifiers, here's the setup:

Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Corolla XLE

H/U: JVC KW-NX7000

Mids/Highs: Almani S7 comps front, Almani S5 6x9's rear

Sub: Polk MM 1540 DVC

Amps: Mids/Highs - Twister F4-380 /// Sub: Kicker Impulse 2252xi

Wiring: Knukonceptz Kollossus 4 gauge power/ground split into Stinger HPM 8 gauge for each amp, Stinger HPM3 RCA's, 16 gauge wire for mids/highs, 12 gauge for sub.

Alright, so I finish installing everything tonight, making sure all the wiring was installed correctly. I turned the system on to tune everything but did not start my car (just turned vehicle to ACC). I adjusted the gains slightly, tuned the frequency levels, etc. I turned off the internal amplifier on the H/U and set the max volume at 40/50. Everything sounded great...then I started my car and drove to the gas station. While driving, I couldn't get the volume past 18/50 before I heard static and loud/piercing beeping sounds coming from the front-left speaker. I tried turning the stereo off and back on again but it didn't change anything. After returning from the gas station, I shut my car off but set the ignition to ACC once again and, although I could still here a bit of static, I could turn the volume up higher than while the car was running. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the mids/highs, possibly the amplifier. Does anyone have any suggestions or have experience with Twister amps causing them trouble?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, so I did some research to determine what the issue might be and found some threads on ground loops. I guess a lot of people have had issues with Pioneer head units in terms of this issue, and have solved it by grounding the RCA jacks on the back of the H/U to the chassis of the H/U. Because my problem (noise and eventually shutting off) gets worse as I turn the volume up on my head unit, I think there may be a ground loop within the amplifier's RCAs. I took some speaker cable, made loops to wrap around the RCA jacks on the amplifier, soldered everything together and ran it to my ground distribution block. I haven't had a chance to start the car yet but I hope this works, I spent a lot of time re-doing all the wiring for a two-amp setup (lol).

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Sounds to me like you've a trapped speaker wire going to earth, had the same thing happen with a couple of customers own installs.

Quick check-disconnect the speaker at the amp and wire another staright to the terminal, if it's ok then you've a trapped wire somewhere.

Re-trace all your speaker wires to that speaker and make sure they're not trapped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, grounding the RCA jacks didn't work. I did notice though that the buzzing was coming from both the front and rear speakers. I tried hooking up the sub-out RCAs to my F4 as well (thinking that my RCA's were bad) but it still made noise. I'm thinking it's the amplifier (F%$k my life).

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you unplug the rcas and it goes away, rca problem.
If its in the speaker wires, disconnect those to locate which speaker.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was talking to someone else about the issue and he said it may be that the shield ground inside the amp is broken. This may be a possibility because all the amps I've had in my car before this one have operated without any problems. I think I'm going to take the amp out and open it up to see if there's a problem. I hope it's something minor though, I don't want to replace another amplifier. My wife will file for divorce if I buy any more stereo stuff right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the amp apart...it turns out the gain pot for input A was replaced at some point, whoever replaced the pot did a horrible job. I don't even think the pot is 10K like it's supposed to be. It looks like I'm gonna have to take to a shop and have it fixed with the right part. Thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts