DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know of a clay material or what not that I could lay donw on my truck floor, to maka thin mold, pull it out, and then fiberglass outside the car?

anyone ever done this before?

I was thinking maybe a REAL thin layer of body filler, (since it drys fast an doesnt stink as much ) woudl this work?

I have two kids so, glassing in the rear of my truck is just not a option

due to the fumes

·
Registered
265 Posts
The fumes are not that bad if you do it in an opened environment. What you would do is put down a few layers of masking tape. Put some petrollem jelly (sorry spelling may be off), on top. Lay the fiberglass mat and resin. Just do 3 or 4 layers. Take it out, and work on the rest of it outside the truck.

granted, you have to wait for those 3 or 4 layers to dry. But it's not a big deal if you leave the doors opened for a while (use fans to move the air out). It's probably the easiest way to deal with fiberglass. It will smell for one to two days, maybe that's too big of a deal for you?

Well, that's how I would do it. Good luck with your fiberglass!

David

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah even one day is too long for me (smellwise) as I have two little ones

Ill figure something out

·
Registered
127 Posts
Find a friend with a Titan and do the mold in his truck. Then do the rest with yours. :-D

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
There are several types of plastics or poly type foams that may work. If you want to use a body filler type material, use Kitty or Tiger Hair. Its essentially filler with glass strands...you should post your question over at CS&P, and ask Tim Baillie specifically in a PM about what he uses. i know he does alot of molding work using plastics...

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good idea :) bu for some reason I get no responses over at carsound?? I have been trying to find a scion tc center consol peice for two weeks now lol

one good thing is that Im doen with my doors/pillars

just have to cover them now

three weeks of hell LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts