DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Volkswagen Transporter T5.1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks!

I have a VW Transporter and as it’s a work vehicle, I’m limited on space for a sub so I’m exploring the usual under seat sub option.

grabbed a spare seat base for ease of building but with its odd shape and internal bracing for the seat, I’m wondering what is the best way to tackle this.

To get into all the odd shapes, fibreglass? Expanding foam? Build the areas with MDF and then smooth out with fibreglass?

I’ll be measuring the space underneath where it bolts to the floor of the van to see if I can build on the outer of the frame and gain some extra volume that way but could do with some ideas/inspiration.

TIA

Wheel Tire Bicycle Automotive tire Vehicle

Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Computer hardware

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Tire Tread Trunk

Wheel Tire Bicycle Crankset Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Musical instrument Hood Automotive design Bumper
Wheel Tire Bicycle Crankset Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Musical instrument Hood Automotive design Bumper
Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Computer hardware
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Tire Tread Trunk
Wheel Tire Bicycle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I hope that’s a single passenger seat base… you won’t get as good sub bass from a drivers seat, plus tactile feedback will mess with the sub disappearing somewhat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope that’s a single passenger seat base… you won’t get as good sub bass from a drivers seat, plus tactile feedback will mess with the sub disappearing somewhat
Thanks for your reply.

It’s a drivers seat, why would the seat designation have an impact on bass output?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Position of subwoofers in relation to your listening position makes a big difference to low end extension and the influence the vehicle has on the subs response
Fab, makes sense.

So with that in mind, I have nowhere else to place the sub.

Any insight on my original post?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I think I’d build it with wood in the seat base, but you can’t go too big as the seat bolts are inside the base, I’d make it as big as I could in plain wood if I’m honest, no need for fibreglass and stuff for that 👍🏼 Make it wider at the top and cut out small parts if it sits over bolt heads or whatever

1 - 6 of 6 Posts