DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
looks like a fantastic deal....wonder if it would be upgrade worthy compared to my Boston GT-24 at 2ohms?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the Hifonics Brutus 1200 considered higher quality than this or are they about the same? I have 1 Alpine R Dual 4 ohm and I'm planning on getting another.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Is the Hifonics Brutus 1200 considered higher quality than this or are they about the same? I have 1 Alpine R Dual 4 ohm and I'm planning on getting another.

No. Hifonics and MB Quart belong to the same company called maxxsonics and the rumor is that the quality of both has gone down after maxxsonics took over. However, I haven't heard anything bad about this particular MB Quart model. Looking at the specs, Brutus does 900watts RMS into 2ohms, onx1.1500d does 1000watts into 2 ohm, so they're about the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No. Hifonics and MB Quart belong to the same company called maxxsonics and the rumor is that the quality of both has gone down after maxxsonics took over. However, I haven't heard anything bad about this particular MB Quart model. Looking at the specs, Brutus does 900watts RMS into 2ohms, onx1.1500d does 1000watts into 2 ohm, so they're about the same.
Thanks, so you would you recommend this amp?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Thanks, so you would you recommend this amp?
I haven't used it yet, but I bought one for myself. I didn't need such powerful amplifier, but it's good value for this price IMO. Compact and powerful. I will be driving an Infinity Kappa 120w.9 in 4ohm mode (rated for 350watts, but based on 17mm xmax, I am sure it can take a bit more).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cool, I have an alpine m450 (400 watts) going to 1 alpine type r 12" and it's pretty loud but I kind of feel like making my eyes vibrate. I figured I would get a bigger amp first then get the other alpine type r later.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Copied from a thread at CarAudio.com:
Team Maxxsonics said:
Yes, the ONYX amps do rated and in most cases, more then the specs reveal.

The ONYX are the Discus replacements but we have made upgrades and board lay out changes to improve THD & N, changes to better improve efficiency, thermal balance for concistant power through out the extreme temperature ranges caused by mounting locations and geographical locations.

The pre-amp has gone through a few minor changes to improve the linearity of the potentiometers and reduced THD & N.

There are also the obvious cosmetic changes as well.

We are selling 25% more ONYX then the previous Discus models and returns are also lower so it's working pretty well so far.

VP of Global Product Development
Maxxsonics USA Inc.
MBQUART / Hifonics
Autotek / Crunch

Good enough for me! Mine should arrive Wednesday. :)

What wiring is everyone going to use for these? I'll be running the 1500 and a Vibe LiteBox 4, and already ordered the Cadence fda 0+4 kit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I keep trying to tell myself that I don't need one... Somebody buy them all up so I'm not tempted lol.
its super cheap, just get it and sell it later, even used you can probably get your $$$ back out of it when the price goes back up in a few months... I think this is the absolute best budget mono-block buy right now, probably ever :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do you really need 2awg wiring if you run 2 ohm? 1kw should be fine on 4, right? I'm contemplating getting this to replace my Xtant 6.1 as I just picked up an eD 13av.2. This way I can go sealed over vented.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I dont think you need 2-awg to even run @ 1 ohm, There's lots of 150 amp fused amps (ONX1.1500 only has 140amp anyway) that only have 4-awg power inputs out there, so I dont think 140 would be any kind of a problem unless the power wire is a crazy long run limo\extended van style. I think that 4-awg is way more than enough for 1000watts in your case, Just my opinion though.

However if youre running this amp that hard to be choked out by 4-awg, you bought too small of an amp...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
How's the quality of these amps? Id hope MB would keep the quality high...
The Onyx series is good stuff. The Q Series is even better with a few added features and nicer crossover section. Both do rated.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the q1.1500d and am not happy with it. It makes a squeal and it is NOT alternator whine or a ground loop. Its very very faint but when listening to talk radio it drives me nuts.

I have tried several attempts at maxxsonix customer service and have been blown off every time.

Its really too bad because MB quart q was my first car install ever and I have fond memories of the gear and used to think highly of the company.

Look I hope the onyx works out for you. I've heard good things about the amps. I am not trolling. I just wanted to dispel the myth that the q series amps are a step up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the q1.1500d and am not happy with it. It makes a squeal and it is NOT alternator whine or a ground loop. Its very very faint but when listening to talk radio it drives me nuts.

I have tried several attempts at maxxsonix customer service and have been blown off every time.

Its really too bad because MB quart q was my first car install ever and I have fond memories of the gear and used to think highly of the company.

Look I hope the onyx works out for you. I've heard good things about the amps. I am not trolling. I just wanted to dispel the myth that the q series amps are a step up.
It makes the speakers squeal? Is it possible for an amp to do that?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts