DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which amp should i go with. I need a 4 Ch amp to power a set of Hertz HSK-165.4 components in passive. The rear two channels will be bridged to power a Memphis 15-SC12 shallow sub. From what i've seen online the MB Quartz is under rated at 125x4 and the Planet Audio is overated at 140x4. They will both be around $150 to the door. Or is there something else i should be looking at. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Which amp should i go with. I need a 4 Ch amp to power a set of Hertz HSK-165.4 components in passive. The rear two channels will be bridged to power a Memphis 15-SC12 shallow sub. From what i've seen online the MB Quartz is under rated at 125x4 and the Planet Audio is overated at 140x4. They will both be around $150 to the door. Or is there something else i should be looking at. Thanks.
***revised.

The Planet Audio is NOT overrated @ 140. It's UNDERRATED! Find some pics from the internals. Class-D, 36 fets, large capacitors, that's a beefy amp. The MB Quart Discus series DSC4125 amps are Class-A/B (less efficient), 32 fets, lots of capacitors, looks like a solid amp. The DSC4125 should be capable of outputting similar wattage. The DSC4125 power supply section looks more robust to me, so it will likely strain less and remain stable longer under tough loads. So, the MB Quart amp is looking a tad better built but is less efficient.

This is a gut pic of the BB150.4. The BB175.4B uses the same board. (The PWM board on this pic is hanging just off the top of the pic because someone removed it).

This is the DSC4125

Which amp is better?
Sheer power output = BB175.4B. (More fets usually = more power output)
Stability = DSC4125. (looks like a dual power supply, should hold up under tough loads better)
Efficiency = BB175.4B. (Class-D vs Class A/B)

Granted of course, without knowing the precise parts, it's impossible to know for sure but I think based on the price class of these amps that the parts quality will be in the ball park with each other.

I wouldn't trade my BB175.4B for the DSC4125.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts