DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a good condition mac mc420 but it has original caps and I want to replace/upgrade them before install.

I also have a zapco c2k 9.0 that won't shut off, keeps killing battery, that i need repaired.

I hit up a few guys on here but nobody hit me back. I'd appreciate any active user that can give me a quote on the mac upgrade and maybe take a look at my c2k. i'm in tampa florida if there's any local guys, but i don't mind shipping.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice but the purpose of a forum like this this to meet knowledgeable talented people so we don't have to pay retail to manufacturers

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Send a message to ShawnK. He is reliable, fast and does quality work. I've used him before.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would also like to get a reference for a good repair guy for McIntosh amps. I have several that need repair and probably should upgrade all the caps too.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
You can also reach out to Jeff Priddy. His username is jeffp on this forum. Send him a PM.

Jeff just did a repair on my McIntosh MX5000 and disassembled/cleaned the volume knob and replaced some bad/aging caps.

I would highly recommend his service too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You can also reach out to Jeff Priddy. His username is jeffp on this forum. Send him a PM.

Jeff just did a repair on my McIntosh MX5000 and disassembled/cleaned the volume knob and replaced some bad/aging caps.

I would highly recommend his service too.
Thanks Captainobvious,
I will drop him a P/M and see if he is up to it and if he has worked on these these amps in the past or not. I have talked with a guy named TrickyRicky about doing some repair work along with cap upgrades. Not sure if you have any experience with him on amplifier work.
Just would like to get the ones in Power Guard mode fixed and then upgraded so they sound like they should so I can get the system I'm working on up and going.

Thanks again any further input would be appreciated.
Mark.....

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Thanks for the advice but the purpose of a forum like this this to meet knowledgeable talented people so we don't have to pay retail to manufacturers
Ohhh that`s the purpose.... I see.

I thought the purpose is to learn **** yourself.
replacing caps in mac is a piece of cake. Do it yourself.

Otherwise you looking at 100-150 vs 30 for parts. don`t buy caps on ebay, digikey or mouser.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Thanks Captainobvious,
I will drop him a P/M and see if he is up to it and if he has worked on these these amps in the past or not. I have talked with a guy named TrickyRicky about doing some repair work along with cap upgrades. Not sure if you have any experience with him on amplifier work.
Just would like to get the ones in Power Guard mode fixed and then upgraded so they sound like they should so I can get the system I'm working on up and going.

Thanks again any further input would be appreciated.
Mark.....
Ricky knows his ****, good guy.

power guard means small 50uF caps gone. whole lot of them, like 25 or more.
Don`t remember exact number .

I`d fix it for you but has been busy lately.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've not had one apart but it doesn't look too bad at all with everything on one side of the PCB. The recap itself looks like ~2 hours with an iron & solder sucker.

The output devices stay tied down so you don't have to worry about new thermal compound -

·
Registered
171 Posts
I sent my old MC-431 to McIntosh for repairs once many years ago after a freak accident resulted in a burned out output stage. I really don't think you should discount them as an option.

First, they paid for it to be shipped to them, which I found shocking. Then they told me they wanted going to upgrade my amp because they had come up with a new output transistor arrangement they felt performed better, and it wouldn't cost anything extra. Actually, they asked me if that was okay with me.

Finally, they called a couple days later and asked if it would be okay with me if they simply sent me a brand new amp with the new tech, as they were a little busy at the moment and having trouble getting to my amp and didn't want to keep me waiting. I asked what the upgrade price would be, and the gentleman told me they would do it free of charge. I was floored.

At the end of the day, I accidentally blew up my amp, told them this outright and didn't try to claim warranty service, and they replaced my amp with an upgraded model absolutely for free, including shipping both ways. Best company I have ever dealt with BY FAR.

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
What McIntosh was, is no more. They have nothing to do with car audio anymore and will refer you to George Meyer in California for repairs.

Your best option is to go with one of the highly rated techs here on Diyma.

Reactions: finbar

·
Registered
171 Posts
What McIntosh was, is no more. They have nothing to do with car audio anymore and will refer you to George Meyer in California for repairs.

Your best option is to go with one of the highly rated techs here on Diyma.
Sigh... I guess you can never go home. Seems like all of the good companies either die or become shells of their former selves.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sigh... I guess you can never go home. Seems like all of the good companies either die or become shells of their former selves.
Yea that was a mouthful for sure and both of you are spot on. MACS is also correct about George Meyer, he bought up the entire car audio parts from McIntosh a little over a year ago. Since people aren't banging down his doors for repairs he hits the people that do use him with both barrels. My name isn't any fancy reference to McIntosh but I'm a big fan of their equipment and have 14 of their amplifiers. Of coarse 4 of them are in Power Guard and are in need of repairs.
I did send one MC431 to Justin Huston to have it upgraded with new capacitors and film caps as well. He did a lot of work to the amplifier and I definitely give him credit where credit is due. But that amp had a Power Guard issue as well and he fought with it for three months or more. Ended up sending it to a guy named Atomic 65 or something close to have him fix the amp. When I got it back we powered it up and it sounded beautiful, I started bringing up the volume and it kicked off and went back into Power Guard.
I did talk with Justin about it and he offered to make it right. But being the procrastinator that I am the amp is sitting upstairs in my shop still.
My biggest issue with these Mac amps is shipping them across the country. Out of all the amps I bought 3 of them arrived with broken glass. Another was lost by the USPS for four months and I've never seen so many pieces of broken glass in one box.
That amp was also in Power Guard too but it was a freebee because PayPal refunded the sale three months before it was thrown on my porch.

I have spoken to Tricky Ricky and also Jeff Priddy thanks to you guys. I'm leaning towards Jeff right now because he's 2 hours away from me and I know good and damn well I can move them from my house to Reno without anything getting destroyed. I am super gun shy to put these in a box anymore.
Plan right now is to bring 5 or 6 of them to Jeff this coming weekend, but I better get in touch with him. I will post up how things go, I did manage to buy two MC427 amps still new in their original boxes and also a new MCC444.
But I have also been told that means nothing because the caps are still old and likely defective from the start.

Ill keep this thread up to date at least on my end.
Mark........

One last thing Feeshta....... is who bought McIntosh that hurts me. Fine Sounds who owns ARC Audio bought them to wipe them out as a competitor.
The red headed step child lives on......'ARC Audio'
I'm going to catch hell for that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts