DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a deal on a double-DIN Mcintosh CD/Cassette that was a factory pull from a Subaru. It's missing the molex plug. I was wondering if anyone here has experience w/these HU's? If so, is it easy to locate a replacement molex? How easily can the DIN cable be tapped for signal? Lastly, are these HU's good for "aftermarket" use. Specifically, the cassette door reads "Tuned for Subaru" so that has me thinking there might be some built-in volume dependent EQ or something. Anyone care to chime in?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one?

·
18,699 Posts
this was part of an 'upgrade' for that model subaru. it came with a full mcintosh system. That’s why it says ‘tuned for subaru’.
Don’t know about getting a replacement molex.

Is this the JDM or USDM version?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
USDM version. I don't think the molex plug is gonna be a problem, as it appears to be the same a non-mcintosh subabru radio. The DIN cable is the one I'm more concerned with.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Subies "normally" have an un-defeatable EQ curve as stated in the OP, but I couldn't tell you if the Mac units have this or not...

Typical Subie HU's suck ass...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if I can still get if for cheap, I will. I'll play w/it and see if I can determine whether or not a compensation EQ curve is present.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Well most "brand name" OEM systems have the EQ built into the amp...i know that the Toyota JBL systems are configured this way

Are you talking about the one on eBay?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It'd be great if EQ is in amp. I eyed one at a salvage yard a few days back. I looked on ebay for reference, but they want too much for budget.

·
Registered
80 Posts
well, i took a picture of the oem mcintosh 2din h/u for subaru.

top wires are for front/rear speakers output..
and the rest at the bottom wires are power, ground and illumination..

hope it helps..

·
Registered
371 Posts
top wires for speakers? it's a dead head. signal is sent through the 13 pin din cable to a proprietary amplifier. pinouts for the din connector are available on the net somewhere.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I looked heavily into these & no one could confirm that the CD transport of either the JDM or the USDM units were indeed "good" 406-level transports.

The JDM-units were not powered. The USDM units, as far as I can find were powered... Az can comment more on that... I could be way off.

I went with an older Alpine cda-7997 HU in my now very wrecked WRX

Rob

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
What did you need to know?
Mostly just curious to see if this unit is equal to the MX-406 sonically, or if it has Subaru-specific equalization built in.

I have a Pioneer double-din DVD player (AVH-P4000DVD) in my truck and I've never once used it to watch a movie, I love the McIntosh stuff and I've been considering getting an MX-406 or MX-4000 again but I'm thinking of trying one of these out since I have a double-din opening. There's another model with minidisc instead of cassette, I really wouldn't use either but I'm just figuring the double-din unit could integrate nicely into the Tahoe dash.

I'd lose my steering wheel controls, my iPod controls, and my USB card input, which is why this isn't a priority, but still curious just the same..

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Unfortunately I will not be able to compare the McIntosh/Subaru double din to the MX-406 but others have compared internals to be very similar and not able to distinguish them sonically, but I would take their opinions with a grain of salt. It is easy to read other opinions and go off that but to really know, YOU must hear for yourself. My idea is that, if you like it then that should be enough ;)

As for the built-in EQ, i think that is built into the amplifiers but not 100% sure. I will be hooking up mine tomorrow so we will see LOL :)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Looks like there's at least one more version, a 6-disc double-din changer! :eek:
I've also read that a Clarion iPod adapter will work with this one. Mmmmm. :cool:

azngotskills, please keep me posted with what you find out. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts