DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know who works on McIntosh amps? I have an MC440M which has an extremely noisy fan. It is pretty beat up physically but works fine, except for the fan noise. The fan has only 1 screw holding it in, and I cannot find screws to match it locally. I have tried to dismantle the amp and even to just remove the fan assembly itself but was unsuccessful. There is also something like a screw rolling around inside the amp which worries me. I am afraid to try too much and completely screw it up. I think I need some suction cups to remove the glass over the meters correct? I emailed McIntosh but they have not replied. Any suggestions?

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Does anyone know who works on McIntosh amps? I have an MC440M which has an extremely noisy fan. It is pretty beat up physically but works fine, except for the fan noise. The fan has only 1 screw holding it in, and I cannot find screws to match it locally. I have tried to dismantle the amp and even to just remove the fan assembly itself but was unsuccessful. There is also something like a screw rolling around inside the amp which worries me. I am afraid to try too much and completely screw it up. I think I need some suction cups to remove the glass over the meters correct? I emailed McIntosh but they have not replied. Any suggestions?
Two fan screws go into the amp chassis and the other two have nuts that hold from the inside. Most likely what you hear rolling around is one of the nuts. That is a common problem on the first gen amps. You can find that thread size at Lowes or HD. The top two must be flush head to clear the aluminum end cap and the bottom two are round head. You may have to cut the screws to legnth. You have to pull the entire end of the amp loose to get to the fan assembly. To prevent it from happening again put a drop of thread lock or clear fingernail polish on the threads once the nut is in place. Don't overtighten or you'll bend the fan housings.

Before you trash the fan make sure it didn't get pushed in and is rubbing on the housing or mesh screen. Sometimes a worn fan may wobble a bit causing it to rub. You can file down the ends of the blades with a tiny file. As for replacing the fan you can order it directly from the McIntosh parts department. Call don't email. You'll never get a response emailing. They will also sell you the screws, but prepare to get ass raped on them.

The glass sometimes sticks to the rubber pads underneath and you have to firmly pry up on it with a plastic trim removal tool.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for helping out this old idiot. If I may ask one other thing. The fans do not sound like they are hitting anything to me. They are just very darn loud. I just did a completely scientific test LOL. Per my ratshack meter it is about 55-56 dB near the fans which is about the same as me speaking normally or mabe just a little softer than normal. But I am a loudmouth so it would probably be normal speaking voice for most. This seems awfully loud to me especially if I tried to install it in the cabin of my crewcab. I am sure it would be fine in a car trunk. But the noise floor in my truck is already way high so I am reluctant to try installing this beast.

It is kind of like hearing a refrigerator, you don't notice how loud it is until it shuts off.

Anyway maybe you can just listen to your Mac powered on with no music going and see if the fans are pretty loud, or if it is just mine.

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
The fans should pretty much be whisper quiet. Even with both fans running you should hear no more than the air they move, plus a very light whirring noise. I've had my old MC4000M hot enough to kick all 4 fans in and even then it wasn't really noticeable with the volume muted. Much quieter than my desktop PC, single fan running in my ear as I type :D

I had a fan that rubbed on the plastic ring that goes around the fan. I was hard to see until I fully removed it from the amp and got it in good lighting. There was a light scuff mark inside where the blades were rubbing. That fan was wearing out and had a slight wobble causing it to rub.

The fans probably aren't too expensive to replace. Give McIntosh Parts Dept. a call and they'll give you a quote over the phone. Don't call from noon to 1pm eastern. They'll be at lunch.

P.S. Note the location of every screw you take out. The middle screws on the bottom plate have coarse threads, but look almost identical to the other small machine screws that hold the rest of the chassis together. You don't want to mess up the machine threads with the wrong screws. ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Also, the 4 screws that hold the fan on... Loosen them and see if the fan quiets down. I had to play with the fan to quiet it down. Had one that I repaired, and the fan was real loud afterwards. Had to move the fan very, very slightly, then tighten down the screws. (try this several times till it gets quiet) It made it a little quieter...Hope this helps...

·
Registered
142 Posts
The bottom fan on my MC440M is rubbing on the mesh grill. The fan still works but looks/sounds like it's had better days. It will rub the grill only when i make a left hand turns:D. Upon closer investigation, if I touch the mesh grill ever so slightly, it will rub where as with the top fan I can press on the mesh grill a lot harder before it will rub the fan.

How hard is it to replace and what exactly is involved? I mean aside of taking your time and making sure you know where all of the screws go, how long should it take?

·
Registered
142 Posts
How hard is it to replace and what exactly is involved? I mean aside of taking your time and making sure you know where all of the screws go, how long should it take?
anybody? I'm giving Mc a call next week but if anybody has any info, I would appreciate hearing it.

As a side note, has anybody looked on digi-key for a replacement fan? or is it some specialty fan Mc had made specifically for them?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The bottom fan on my MC440M is rubbing on the mesh grill. The fan still works but looks/sounds like it's had better days. It will rub the grill only when i make a left hand turns:D. Upon closer investigation, if I touch the mesh grill ever so slightly, it will rub where as with the top fan I can press on the mesh grill a lot harder before it will rub the fan.

Probably less time that waiting for someone explain it to you, I'm guessing... they use screws so you can take them apart, man...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Probably less time that waiting for someone explain it to you, I'm guessing... they use screws so you can take them apart, man...
Yes, thanks for the update about using screws to take things apart...I wasn't aware.

I was more concerned about the "pulling the entire end of the amp off" part.

You have to pull the entire end of the amp loose to get to the fan assembly.
In light of MACS post, it seems it not as simple as you might think it is. I was just asking if anybody has any pics or info on the process. Maybe I'll just pm MACS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts