DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is kind of a strange ? I have a Mcintosh 404, 431, 423 I am only using the 404 right now for a two way active setup. I use a ppi-dcx for processing as I switch stuff out like toilet paper all the time just to try other stuff. I am picking up my new kicker qs65.2 tomorrow. Whether I keep them or not or end up going 3way again later I wonder if it would be a dumb idea to dump the mcintosh and get 2 of the kenwood amps with the processing? Will I be losing that much? I always swore I would be buried with the Mc's (not literaly) I am only going to get 2 of them because if I go three way I would bridge one of them for the mids. Thats what I did with the 404 and 431 I dont really use the 423 but planned on a potential future center channel. I guess with my ddx812 and the excelon amps I would be covered for processing, but how about overall sound. I would just like to minimize my setup and save a ton of space. But not if it means sacrificing a ton of SQ. I do believe there is a huge difference between amps. If you are going to submit a statement saying amps are amps please do not waste your time or mine! Thanks

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"perception of reality" WTF????? I guess I was hoping that someone has had experience with both and can possibly share any possible insight as two what if any differences there might be in the sound. For instance...to me the pdx amps sound sterile and not at all natural to me. (yes I know people think alpine is the end all to car audio and I am glad that people have it and like them, they are not my thing.) But I feel they have a particular sound to them. I am wondering if the excelon amps have any sort of signiture sound to them.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If you can honestly hear the difference between the 2 brands of amplifiers, then you have VERY special ears.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I guess I am very special. But like I said originaly......if you dont notice differences in amps then please dont waste your time or mine.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have read the reviews on here, again I am just wondering if people have any sort of comparison with a high end amp to the excelon....like zapco, nakamichi, audison, tru, etc..... not pdx to excelon, etc I am not trying to insult anyone by my comparsions, I do feel there is a great difference between those types of amps vs. most others out there, but I have my taste and just want to see if anyone has gone from one to the other... I know it is a needle in the haystack but I figured I would try!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I don't have any firsthand experience with the new Kenwood amps, but I'd be extremely surprised if they sounded anywhere near as good as McIntosh does to me.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats my concern, but the size and dsp is kinda the carrot dangling in front of me. Thans for your insight Treetop

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Well I guess I am very special. But like I said originaly......if you dont notice differences in amps then please dont waste your time or mine.
Never said I couldn't, it's just that when people mention their Mcintosh amps, they usually have a preconceived notion that they already sound better than others simply due to their name. I'll take my Adcoms and leave. Good day, sir. :dead_horse:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would put adcoms in the same group as mcintosh, audison, zapco, etc..... I just figured that when I listed zapco, mcintosh, and etc.. that some one would assume adcom would be in the same group. I only have mcintosh because for me it was the best that I could afford at the time and had the some of the requirements I was looking for. But yes please leave with your preconcieved notion that I had a preconceived notion about mcintosh being the best because it had some blue glass!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have never been able to hear a difference in amps with all factors equal except when i used Alpine PDX's, however i feel that was due to a poor design.

I dont think you will notice a difference, but thats like trading your bently in for a hyuandi genesis...

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Odds are better the McIntosh is the one with a colored sound...and so it sounds better. It may play lower a lot of amps now have a subsonic built right in so they can go louder. I like the old amps that 'sound' better, but realize it is typically due to deviation from a flat response not distortion of any kind. Under clipping I doubt there are many amps made that produce audible distortion. Now on the other hand the Mac is going to hold up better, hold its value, and be a tank that gets the job done well for a long time. Just saying if you did a blind test you have a 50% chance of picking the right one by quality of sound. In theory you should be able to EQ near any amp to sound the same as what you have, but yes I have experienced issues there and so I also swap amps. I chalk it up to the fact that I don't have a 31 band EQ. That said I do like Kenwood for the price, well engineered amps but they don't overbuild them for that price but I've only been around the regular models. A cheap amp might sound like crap if you do clip it. If you are not sure try to score them used if you can, then you can sell them for about the same price I imagine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The analogy I'd like to use is that you're talking about trading your 5-6 year old flagship Mercedes or Bentley for a new Lexus IS-F.

Sometimes the brands people use get to their heads. Being enthusiasts, we all appreciate the baller brands. We all fall victim to it, imo. I'd keep the Mcintosh stuff and put a new processor on them.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I think some people might be analyzing my ? a little more then neccessary but I greatly appreciate the insight....well most of it anyway. I already own the Mcintosh and have a ddx-812 and a ppi dcx-730 so I dont need anymore processing, in fact I keep the 812 eq completely flat, and am only using a few bands total on my dcx. I just dont find it very neccessary with my current setup. The mcintosh 404 is a new model, not old like my 10 year old 431, 423. The 404 has a fantastic bandpass crossover setup and a one band eq for channels 1/2 and 3/4. I actually have used just that xover and the decks eq and had great results but being behind the back seat of my truck its pain in the a$$ to get to, and if I choose to go 3 way again I would be kinda s.o.l. I will try and see if I can get one of the kenwoods kinda cheap and play with it. But I will just plan on keeping the Macs.

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
I wish McIntosh would build a decent processor. They made some half assed ones a while back for the 1st generation amps, but good luck finding a MEC457 or MEC459 controller to use them.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
That is what I would do, if you like the Macs keep them no matter and play with something else if you like it buy one....but you may very well use the Macs again later and can't lose keeping them.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I will sell some other definate non usable items (to me) and try out the excelons.
Thanks sqshoestring!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts